Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (minor spoilers)

Day to day life of the Rush fans

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

EndlesslyRocking

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (minor spoilers)

Post by EndlesslyRocking »

My daughter and I went to see Sky Captain yesterday. As a sci-fi nerd, I've been waiting for this movie all summer.

Some of you may know this film was made almost entirely by computer, with the actors spending most of their time filming against a blue screen. It has a retro-visual thing going on (it's set in the 30's). It's really quite stunning from a visual perspective.

Pretty much what you see in the ads is what you get. It's a total throwback to the Saturday Matinee movies people like elfdude paid a dime to see at "the talkies" when they were kids. (Sorry elf, couldn't resist, after your "old man" thread). ;) It's very stylized. There's nothing inappropriate about it (rated PG). The banter between Jude Law and Gwyneth Paltrow reminds you of those old Cary Grant movies. It's very nicely done, they have good chemistry on screen.

As for the plot itself, it's not exactly what you'd call "tight". Some things seem completely out of place, as it's mix of past and future is not always a smooth one. And one big complaint: not NEARLY enough Angelina Jolie!

None of this really matters much, though. The local paper gave it 3 1/2 stars out of four, and said "It's a matter of style over substance, but what style!" I think that sums it up pretty well.
Life in two dimensions is a mass-production scheme...
schuette

Post by schuette »

cool I'll take the kids to see it when it comes out over here :-D
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

I've just downloaded the movie and we're all watching it later, looks good.
D'Anconia

Post by D'Anconia »

Ogg wrote:I've just downloaded the movie and we're all watching it later, looks good.
Just downloaded?!? WTF?!? That can't be legal.

Looks good enough to catch this on PPV or DVD...
Regards,
Bri

"...from here in Oregon, where we are far too stupid to dispense our own gasoline." Neil Peart
*Lifesonite
Location: Flowing Through The Universe, In A Paisley Shirt... Man.

Post by *Lifesonite »

Who said anything about legal? I'll be over later with a bin of popcorn Ogg! ;)
I remember watching in amazement as Geddy sang, played bass, and played the keyboards with his feet. I thought, "Who is this guy???"
-- IFALT
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

D'A wrote:Just downloaded?!? WTF?!? That can't be legal.
:-D Just dont tell anyone mate :-) .
Lite wrote: I'll be over later with a bin of popcorn Ogg!
More than welcome my friend.

ps Some friends called last night so we're giving it a go this evening, say around 8pm L'ite? :-) .
EndlesslyRocking

D'Anconia wrote:
Looks good enough to catch this on PPV or DVD...
One of the few criteria I use to see movies in the theater is whether or not they gain anything by the "big screen". For example, I can usually wait to see comedies until PPV or DVD.

I think Sky Captain is one that benefits from the theater experience, as do most FX/Sci Fi films.

JMHO
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

When I was a boy you could get a movie, a cartoon, a newsreel, a bag of popcorn, a candy bar, and a whipping, all for a nickel!!!
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
D'Anconia

Post by D'Anconia »

Ogg wrote:
D'A wrote:Just downloaded?!? WTF?!? That can't be legal.
:-D Just dont tell anyone mate :-) .
I won't if you won't. :yawinkle:
Regards,
Bri

"...from here in Oregon, where we are far too stupid to dispense our own gasoline." Neil Peart
schuette

Post by schuette »

ElfDude wrote:When I was a boy you could get a movie, a cartoon, a newsreel, a bag of popcorn, a candy bar, and a whipping, all for a nickel!!!
and electricity was just invented :razz:
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

schuette wrote:
ElfDude wrote:When I was a boy you could get a movie, a cartoon, a newsreel, a bag of popcorn, a candy bar, and a whipping, all for a nickel!!!
and electricity was just invented :razz:
Oh yeah! We thought electricity was the greatest thing since sliced bread! (sliced bread having been invented the year before)
schuette

Post by schuette »

that would have been so cool to have lived all those years ago... :roll: :razz:
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

I just saw the film this evening with my daughters. It wasn't the greatest movie I've ever seen, but it was a lot of fun.

And yeah, the style was really cool. :)
EndlesslyRocking

ElfDude wrote:I just saw the film this evening with my daughters. It wasn't the greatest movie I've ever seen, but it was a lot of fun.

It is pretty lightweight, in terms of sticking with you after you leave the theater. A good "popcorn" movie, as they say.

When you remember that the actors did everything against a blue screen and most of the film was added by computer later, it does make the acting jobs seem even a little better. I don't normally like Paltrow that much, but I did in this movie.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

EndlesslyRocking wrote:
ElfDude wrote:I just saw the film this evening with my daughters. It wasn't the greatest movie I've ever seen, but it was a lot of fun.

It is pretty lightweight, in terms of sticking with you after you leave the theater. A good "popcorn" movie, as they say.

When you remember that the actors did everything against a blue screen and most of the film was added by computer later, it does make the acting jobs seem even a little better. I don't normally like Paltrow that much, but I did in this movie.
Yeah, she was pretty likeable. :)