Hold Your Fire

A place to discuss the studio albums

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Slaine mac Roth

Post by Slaine mac Roth »

I think I'd have to say that my favourites are Open Secrets, Mission and Tai Shan. The only one I've never really got into is High Water but I think that is due to it being the last song and, as HYF is a walkman mainstay, I usually get to where I'm going but I get to hear it.
'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?'
Xanadu

Post by Xanadu »

Lock and Key! :D :D :D
We're all mad here!
PV
Site Admin

Post by PV »

"Second Nature" So true... "It ought to be second nature, at least that's what I feel. Now I lay me down in dreamland, I know perfect's not for real."
I don't have faith in faith, I don't believe in belief, You can call me faithless, I still cling to hope, And I believe in love, And that's faith enough for me... Neil Peart
Mr. Bill

Post by Mr. Bill »

To me HYF represents "Smooth Rush".

PoW was sharp and definite. Like Neil's smaller toms "popping" at the start of "Big $". Sharper still on GD and so on.

HYF was like milk. Wide rich layers. Not dark - just thick.

"Turn The Page" and "Prime Mover" my favs - I think. "Mission" still chokes me up and I love the pile driver on FT! I always had a unsure feeling about TSS. Not sure why.

It's kind of funny how then they went back to even a shaper and more defined sound on Presto. Snappier again.

HYF should have been called Got Milk! It amazes me how they are never scared to change. VT wasn't smooth or sharp - more "loose" than anything to a point of nearly drunk! But the power on VT hasn't been heard in a long time.

HYF is one great record. What's a record?

Blah...Blah...Blah...I want milk!
Living One Long Sunrise
*Lifesonite
Location: Flowing Through The Universe, In A Paisley Shirt... Man.

Post by *Lifesonite »

Alex is really good on Time Stand Still 8)
I remember watching in amazement as Geddy sang, played bass, and played the keyboards with his feet. I thought, "Who is this guy???"
-- IFALT
Mr. Bill

Post by Mr. Bill »

Yes he is 'nite. I completely agree.

But there is something about that song that doesn't seem right to me. The emotion in Geddy's singing is great. The concept and lyrics are great.

Maybe its Aimee's voice that never sat well with me. But it's more than that too. The tempo is disjointed to me somehow. I'll likely never understand what "it" is about it.

I remember when it was released on radio and a lot of people who never gave Rush the time of day said "wow...that's impressive". The song pushed them further into the mainstream. One reason I believe is that eveyone could relate to the concept.

When I hear Ged sing "If I could slow it all down" - I still get huge goose bumps, but in the end the song is missing something (to me).

I know it's a beautiful song - I know a lot of fans put it in a special place - it's just one I would have tinkered with some more.

In my best Robin Leach voice: "And I don't know why"!

Oh well... champagne wishes and caviar dreams.
Living One Long Sunrise
*Lifesonite
Location: Flowing Through The Universe, In A Paisley Shirt... Man.

Post by *Lifesonite »

It sounds funny to me too, but I don't mind :P The sound is not thick at all on the song.
I remember watching in amazement as Geddy sang, played bass, and played the keyboards with his feet. I thought, "Who is this guy???"
-- IFALT
Fridge

Post by Fridge »

Ah, Hold You Fire...

The last "great" Rush album IMO.

An incredibly smooth, polished creation with excellent use of keyboards and razor sharp signature guitar. Very much of it's time, it captured that late 80's ambience perfectly.

Some fine songs here, with the sublime "Open Secrets", "Nission" and "Turn The Page" being particular stand outs. As a bass player, this album is a veritable feast, and has given me many hours of enjoyable finger twisting...Still don't know how he can play Turn the Page and sing at the same time...B@st@rd!

However, IMO the only thing elevating this album to Hemispheres, PEW,MP status is the last two songs, which are pretty dire..but thats what skip buttons are for..
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

So you play bass eh fridge? cool stuff. I'll admit this album is fun to play, but not challenging in my opinion, i still sit back and jam it to relax, very fun but it does just that, allow me to relax.
Fridge

Post by Fridge »

Sir Myghin wrote:So you play bass eh fridge? cool stuff. I'll admit this album is fun to play, but not challenging in my opinion, i still sit back and jam it to relax, very fun but it does just that, allow me to relax.
Yes, I know what you mean... I have played Bass for about 18 years, but for the last few years I have been working at sea, so am away from home (and my bass) for long periods of time...as a consequence I get rusty, and almost have to relearn my style every time I am home...Its frustrating not being able to gig anymore, so my playing has suffered as a result.

It depends what you mean about challenging. Sure, its easy enough to learn the lines, but to write them in the first place? Thats another matter entirely. Nowadays, I am more of a songwriter than a bass player., though one day I hope to come back to work on dry land, and get playing in a band again, which is what its all about really
Ach, if Dougie was here he'd tell you himself....
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

Fridge wrote: It depends what you mean about challenging. Sure, its easy enough to learn the lines, but to write them in the first place? Thats another matter entirely. Nowadays, I am more of a songwriter than a bass player., though one day I hope to come back to work on dry land, and get playing in a band again, which is what its all about really
Very cool, i am a young song writer myself, i try to write simply on the platform that, play how you want, avoid everything about the mainstream because now it sucks, i suppose my bass carries a fair deal of rush infleunce but that can't be help once your enlightened
H3WMW

Post by H3WMW »

Hold Your Fire was the first CD of Rush I ever bought. I love it and my favourite songs are Turn The Page and Prime Mover.

A brilliant album.

Bassist of Joe's Band

EndlesslyRocking

Post by EndlesslyRocking »

I think Force Ten deserves a mention too, along with Prime Mover. Some great stuff on HYF.
Life in two dimensions is a mass-production scheme...
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

aye those basslines are happening force ten i got so into i rattled that siding on my house, my amp was only half up, lol i was playing really hard , heheh , usually have to go at least to 6/6 volume/gain to rattle stuff
Rod Torkelson

Post by Rod Torkelson »

I listened to it the other day for the first time in a long while...my assessment was "better than I remembered, but ultimately not what I was hoping for". I don't know if this comment makes sense, but...there are alot of great moments, highlights, and sounds on HYF, but not many great songs (IMO of course). I'd still give it a 3 outta 5 'tho...