How you know your Scottish

Day to day life of the Rush fans

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

schuette

How you know your Scottish

Post by schuette »

okai this should be in the joke bit but I found it so funny I think it deserves a thread of its own...mind you I might be the only one who finds it funny :lol:

any questions just ask :-D

IT'S A PURE DEAD GIVE-AWAY THAT YOU'RE SCOTTISH IF :-

1. You consider scattered showers with outbreaks of sunshine is good weather

2. The only sausage you like is square

3. You have been forced to do Scottish country dancing every year at secondary school

4. You have a wide vocabulary of Scottish words such as numpty, aye, aye right, auldjin, baltic...

5. You destroyed your teeth when you were young using Buchanan's toffee, Wham bars, Penny Dainties, MB Bars, Cola Cubes etc

6. You have an enormous feeling of dread whenever Scotland play a 'numpty' team like the Faroe Islands

7. You happily engage in a conversation about the weather with someone you've never met before

8. Even if you normally hate the Proclaimers, Runrig, Caledonia , Deacon Blue and Big Country, you still love it when you're in a club abroad and they play something Scottish

9. You used to watch Glen Michael's Cavalcade on a Sunday afternoon with his side kick Lamp Paladin

10.. You got Oor Wullie and The Broons annuals at Xmas

11. You can tell where another Scot is from by their accent - "Awright, pal, gonnae gies a wee swatch oa yur Sun ? Cheers, magic pal." Or "Fit ya bin up tae ? Fair few quines in the nicht, eh ?", etc

12. You see cops and hear someone shout 'Errapolis'

13. You have participated in or watched people having a 'square go'

14. You know that when someone asks you what school you went to they only want to know if you are catholic or protestant

15. You have eaten lots and lots of random Scottish food like mince 'n tatties, Tunnock's Caramel Logs, oat cakes, haggis, Cullen skink, Lees Macaroon Bars, etc

16. A jakey has asked you for money

17. You think nothing of waiting expectantly for your 1p change from a shop keeper

18. You know the right response to 'Ye dancing ?' is 'Y'askin ?' followed by 'Ahm askin' and finally 'Then ahm dancin'

19. Whenever you see sawdust it reminds you of pools of vomit as that's what the jannies used to chuck on it at school

20. You lose all respect for a groom who doesn't wear a kilt

21. You don't do shopping .... You 'go the messages'

22. You're sitting on the train or bus and a drunk man sits next to you telling you a joke - and asking 'Ahm no annoying ye ahm a?' and you respond 'Naw, not at a', yer fine. This is ma stoap, but'

23. You can have an entire phone conversation using only the words 'awright', 'aye' and 'naw'

24. You have experienced peer pressure to have an alcoholic drink when out - regardless of the circumstances

25. You know that ye cannae fling yer pieces oot a 20 storey flat, and that seven hundred hungry weans'll testify tae that.
Furthermore you're sure that if it's butter, cheese or jeely, or if the breid is plain or pan, the odds against it reaching earth are 99 tae wan

26. You know that going to a party at a friend's house involves bringing your own drink

27. Your holiday abroad is ruined if you hear there is a heatwave in Scotland while you're away

28. Your national team goes 2-0 up again the Czechs in a qualifier in Prague and your mate says we'll end up losing 3-2 here and you think "Probably"

29. You can properly pronounce McConnochie, Ecclefechan, Milngavie, and Auchtermuchty

30. Your favourite pizza is deep fried and battered from the chippy

31. You're used to 4 seasons in one day

32. You can't pass a chip shop or kebab shop, without drooling, when you're drunk

33. You can fall about drunk without spilling your drink

34. You measure distance in minutes

35. You can understand Rab C Nesbitt and know characters just like them in your own family

36. You go to Saltcoats because you think it's like being at the ocean

37. You can make a whole sentence out of just swear words

38. You know what haggis is made with and still eat it

39. Somebody you know used a football schedule to plan their wedding day date

40. You've been at a wedding where the footie results were read out

41. You aren't surprised to find curries, pizzas, kebabs, Irn Bru, nappies and fags all for sale in one shop

42. Your seaside holiday home has Calor gas under it

43. You know that Irn Bru is an infallible hangover cure

44. You understand all the above and are going to send it to your pals

45. And, finally, you are 100 per cent Scottish if you have ever used these terms - "How's it hingin'?", "clatty", "boggin",
"cludgie", "dreich", "bampot", "bawheid", "baw bag" and "dubble nugget".
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Oh, I'm laffin my head off here............. :lol: .

Please translate this so those of us not Scottish can better understand them.
This space for rent
schuette

Post by schuette »

surely I dinnae need to translate all them :lol:
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

No not for you, for us. :-D
This space for rent
schuette

Post by schuette »

you saying you didnt understand any of it :lol:
Walkinghairball

No, I got some.................ok a little. :-D
This space for rent
schuette

Post by schuette »

okai Im gonna to bed the now but I will translate the morra...let me know what numbers need translated :lol:
Walkinghairball

11, 12, 13, 16...Jakey? 25...(all of it), 36...Saltcoats, 41...Irn Bru, 45...(all of it).

I think I got the rest. Don't ask me to pronounce any of it though. :razz:
This space for rent
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

All the spout is nonsense over there eh Hairman? Can't say I'm surprised with the scottish representation this board has :P :-D
Walkinghairball

Hey, don't lump me in with yer thinking methods..................yer still kinda Frenchie. :razz: :-D :razz: :-D

I dig the Scottish accent. It's just hard to understand some of the words and alla that. Heck, we still translate to each other every day it seems. In some way or another.
This space for rent
schuette

Re: How you know your Scottish

Post by schuette »

IT'S A PURE DEAD GIVE-AWAY THAT YOU'RE SCOTTISH IF :-

1. You consider scattered showers with outbreaks of sunshine is good weather....self explainatory...weather isnt that good in Scotland

2. The only sausage you like is square...do you have square sausage over there or just link sausages..?

3. You have been forced to do Scottish country dancing every year at secondary school...dances like The Dashing White Sergeant, The Gay Gordon, Strip the Willow...believe me it was the bane of every child at school lol

4. You have a wide vocabulary of Scottish words such as numpty, aye, aye right, auldjin, baltic...you know numpty and aye already...aye right is when someone says something and you dont believe them 'aye right' is the response...auldjin is old one and baltic is cold

5. You destroyed your teeth when you were young using Buchanan's toffee, Wham bars, Penny Dainties, MB Bars, Cola Cubes etc...oor childhood sweets :-D

6. You have an enormous feeling of dread whenever Scotland play a 'numpty' team like the Faroe Islands....oor football is that bad that we really worry when they play a team considered worse than us lol

7. You happily engage in a conversation about the weather with someone you've never met before...this really does happen...usually at bus stops

8. Even if you normally hate the Proclaimers, Runrig, Caledonia , Deacon Blue and Big Country, you still love it when you're in a club abroad and they play something Scottish....we love Scottishness abroad...oor accent becomes stronger as well :-D

9. You used to watch Glen Michael's Cavalcade on a Sunday afternoon with his side kick Lamp Paladin....this was a programme that contained cartoons...the Casper the Friendly Ghost was a definate favourite!

10.. You got Oor Wullie and The Broons annuals at Xmas....google them and see if you can understand them lol

11. You can tell where another Scot is from by their accent - "Awright, pal, gonnae gies a wee swatch oa yur Sun ? Cheers, magic pal." Or "Fit ya bin up tae ? Fair few quines in the nicht, eh ?", etc....Awright, pal, gonnae gies a wee swatch oa yur Sun ? Cheers, magic pal." ..you okai pal...gonna let me have a read of your Sun newspaper? Thank you very much (Glaswegian).. "Fit ya bin up tae ? Fair few quines in the nicht, eh ?"...What have you been upto? Quite a lot of females in here the nigh isnt there? (north east)

12. You see cops and hear someone shout 'Errapolis'... "There's the police"

13. You have participated in or watched people having a 'square go'....a square go is a fight

14. You know that when someone asks you what school you went to they only want to know if you are catholic or protestant...we're very sectarian over here...

15. You have eaten lots and lots of random Scottish food like mince 'n tatties, Tunnock's Caramel Logs, oat cakes, haggis, Cullen skink, Lees Macaroon Bars, etc....and they're all great :-D

16. A jakey has asked you for money...An alcoholic asked you for money

17. You think nothing of waiting expectantly for your 1p change from a shop keeper....sadly this is so true lol

18. You know the right response to 'Ye dancing ?' is 'Y'askin ?' followed by 'Ahm askin' and finally 'Then ahm dancin'...think you can work this one out ;)

19. Whenever you see sawdust it reminds you of pools of vomit as that's what the jannies used to chuck on it at school...surely your school janitors did the same lol

20. You lose all respect for a groom who doesn't wear a kilt....if your Scottish and you dont wear a kilt at your wedding...you deserve to be shot ;)

21. You don't do shopping .... You 'go the messages'....just what we say for going shopping :-D

22. You're sitting on the train or bus and a drunk man sits next to you telling you a joke - and asking 'Ahm no annoying ye ahm a?' and you respond 'Naw, not at a', yer fine. This is ma stoap, but'....we're polite to drunks but we cannae handle them so we will leave the bus miles away from where we want to get off

23. You can have an entire phone conversation using only the words 'awright', 'aye' and 'naw'.....again sadly this is true lol

24. You have experienced peer pressure to have an alcoholic drink when out - regardless of the circumstances...birth, death, shopping, gardening etc...we will always find a way of having drink lol

25. You know that ye cannae fling yer pieces oot a 20 storey flat, and that seven hundred hungry weans'll testify tae that.
Furthermore you're sure that if it's butter, cheese or jeely, or if the breid is plain or pan, the odds against it reaching earth are 99 tae wan...and old Scottish song

26. You know that going to a party at a friend's house involves bringing your own drink...you always have to take your ain carry oot lol

27. Your holiday abroad is ruined if you hear there is a heatwave in Scotland while you're away...hahahahaha...again this is true...we hate to hear the weather is Scotland is good when we're no there lol

28. Your national team goes 2-0 up again the Czechs in a qualifier in Prague and your mate says we'll end up losing 3-2 here and you think "Probably"...we have so much confidence in the Scottish footy team lol

29. You can properly pronounce McConnochie, Ecclefechan, Milngavie, and Auchtermuchty....you need to hear me to know how they are properly pronounced...I can bet though not the way your saying them in your head

30. Your favourite pizza is deep fried and battered from the chippy...this is called a pizza crunch :-D

31. You're used to 4 seasons in one day...has happened to me..serioulsy...sun, rain, wind and snow all in the one day...can happen often lol

32. You can't pass a chip shop or kebab shop, without drooling, when you're drunk....especially the kebab shop...google chippy...hard to explain lol

33. You can fall about drunk without spilling your drink...it's a talent we have :-D

34. You measure distance in minutes...a place isnt 30 mile away...we say it's 20/25 min away

35. You can understand Rab C Nesbitt and know characters just like them in your own family...a defunctional comedy programme about a Scottish family...seemingly when it was showed in England they had to use subtitles lol

36. You go to Saltcoats because you think it's like being at the ocean...a wee shitty place by the sea

37. You can make a whole sentence out of just swear words...I can prove this lol

38. You know what haggis is made with and still eat it...and I still think its great :-D

39. Somebody you know used a football schedule to plan their wedding day date....yeah this really does happen

40. You've been at a wedding where the footie results were read out...been at a wedding where this had happened lol

41. You aren't surprised to find curries, pizzas, kebabs, Irn Bru, nappies and fags all for sale in one shop...you must have shops over there like that...well maybe not Irn Bru but Coke...?

42. Your seaside holiday home has Calor gas under it...a caravan lol

43. You know that Irn Bru is an infallible hangover cure...so wish you could Irn Bru over there...its oor national drink

44. You understand all the above and are going to send it to your pals...you'll understand probably very little lol

45. And, finally, you are 100 per cent Scottish if you have ever used these terms - "How's it hingin'?", "clatty", "boggin",
"cludgie", "dreich", "bampot", "bawheid", "baw bag" and "dubble nugget"....How's it going, dirty, dirty, toilet, wet, idiot, bigger idiot, a twat and an even bigger twat :-D

hope that helped :-D
Walkinghairball

Yep.
This space for rent
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

#7 happens everywhere

I think I saw irn bru at the grocery store. Looking it up, we definitely do.
schuette

Post by schuette »

Canada might be able to get it imported...unless its changed I know America wont get it imported as Barr's wont say what the 'secret ingrediant' is
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

schuette wrote:Canada might be able to get it imported...unless its changed I know America wont get it imported as Barr's wont say what the 'secret ingrediant' is
probably cocaine, just like red bull