Happy 420!

Day to day life of the Rush fans

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Big Blue Owl

Happy 420!

Post by Big Blue Owl »

For many, many of us it is a sort-of holiday.

(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Okay, I'm clueless...

What happened on 4/20?
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

4:20 began as a "High Time" and grew into a day (and/or time) to celebrate cannabis culture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/420_(cannabis_culture)

BTW, Marijuana originally became illegal to satisfy the requirements of certain "captains of industry" (otherwise known as "robber barons") that cannabis not be allowed to compete with their products.

These were primarily Dupont, which made nylon, and the pulpwood industry, which made paper. It was done through a campaign of misinformation and racism, most importantly in the Hearst newspaper empire. Hearst, "coincidentally", had huge holdings in pulpwood. Harry Anslinger, the government's primary agent in this campaign, was married to the daughter of Dupont's banker.

The same interests, and others, continue to support politicians to keep it illegal.

Over the years, a prohibition infrastructure has grown that depends on the continuation of marijuana's illegality for its income and continued existence. People in this infrastructure do their best to keep cannabis illegal as well.
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Well, if it was actually 4:19am, or pm, we would say........"It's 4:19, got a minute?"

It has everything to do with the funny flowers pictured above.
This space for rent
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

One explanation of the origin of the term stems from a story about a group of teenagers at San Rafael High School in San Rafael, California, United States in 1971. The teens would meet after school at 4:20 p.m. to smoke marijuana at the Louis Pasteur statue. The exact time was chosen because that was the time that afternoon detention was dismissed.
Okay, I get it. :) Thanks.
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

From the been-there-done-that file:

"420 AT 4:20 ON 4/20"

Rock on and happy 420 you cookers. :lol:
Don't start none...won't be none.
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

Big Blue Owl wrote:4:20 began as a "High Time" and grew into a day (and/or time) to celebrate cannabis culture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/420_(cannabis_culture)

BTW, Marijuana originally became illegal to satisfy the requirements of certain "captains of industry" (otherwise known as "robber barons") that cannabis not be allowed to compete with their products.

These were primarily Dupont, which made nylon, and the pulpwood industry, which made paper. It was done through a campaign of misinformation and racism, most importantly in the Hearst newspaper empire. Hearst, "coincidentally", had huge holdings in pulpwood. Harry Anslinger, the government's primary agent in this campaign, was married to the daughter of Dupont's banker.

The same interests, and others, continue to support politicians to keep it illegal.

Over the years, a prohibition infrastructure has grown that depends on the continuation of marijuana's illegality for its income and continued existence. People in this infrastructure do their best to keep cannabis illegal as well.
Wow, talk about coincidence BBroO. Check out episode twelve (season seven) of Family Guy that I've just waffled on about, 'Brian' the dog actually touches on these points :-) .

It's not something I shout aloud but it's no secret that I am an imbiber myself and have been for a long time to be honest. Over here 'skunk' is most popular but damn expensive so it's a luxury to have some. Mostly it's inexpensive hashish that helps soften the edges of a long day. Then again I am not a drinker and consider alcohol the greater demon but like everything moderation is the key.
Cool informative post my friend.

One explanation of the origin of the term stems from a story about a group of teenagers at San Rafael High School in San Rafael, California, United States in 1971. The teens would meet after school at 4:20 p.m. to smoke marijuana at the Louis Pasteur statue. The exact time was chosen because that was the time that afternoon detention was dismissed.

"By extension April 20 ("4/20" in U.S. date notation) has evolved into a counterculture holiday, where people gather to celebrate and consume cannabis. In some locations this celebration coincides with Earth Week. A large celebration is held every year on the University of Colorado's Boulder campus, with attendance reaching more than 10,000 in 2008.University police have tried various methods to prevent the gathering, including photographing students participating in the event,but the crowd has grown every year.In Dunedin, New Zealand, students at the University of Otago and other cannabis law reform activists meet under a walnut tree on the Otago University Union Lawn on Wednesdays and Fridays at 4:20pm to openly smoke cannabis in public in what they consider an act of protest. In 2008 a member of the Dunedin group was arrested and others were issued trespass notices after attempting to openly smoke cannabis at one of the regular 4:20pm protest meetings..."
Last edited by Ogg on Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

I saw that episode and laughed until I choked at the song. How can any human be so funny? Seth McFarlane for president of USA in 2016! (Stranger things have happened.) :)

Ogg

Post by Ogg »

Big Blue Owl wrote:I saw that episode and laughed until I choked at the song. How can any human be so funny? Seth McFarlane for president of USA in 2016! (Stranger things have happened.) :)

Whuh th' Fu'...an actor as president? Ged oudda here :-)