President Obama

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

awip2062 wrote:
Sir Myghin wrote:Sounds like he is taking a page from canada, whenever we hit recession we dump tonnes and tonnes of money into infrastructure and roadway engineers have all the work they could hope for, the idea being when you come out of recession travel is that much better and good to go.

An odd thing is the difference between 'right and left' between out nations, your entire system in respect to canadas is much to the right.
So, even your "conservatives" are left of ours?
Your democrats are slightly more liberal than our conservatives most of time, your republicans much much more conservative than ours. our liberals.. lets just not go there. Our new democrat party... last time they were in power national debt was the theme.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

hmmmm....national debt.....
Onward and Upward!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

awip2062 wrote:http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081122/ap_ ... kOUxzLLJ94

Excerpts:
WASHINGTON ? President-elect Barack Obama promoted an economic plan Saturday he said would create 2.5 million jobs by rebuilding roads and bridges and modernizing schools while developing alternative energy sources and more efficient cars.

"These aren't just steps to pull ourselves out of this immediate crisis. These are the long-term investments in our economic future that have been ignored for far too long," Obama said in the weekly Democratic radio address.
"We'll put people back to work rebuilding our crumbling roads and bridges, modernizing schools that are failing our children, and building wind farms and solar panels," Obama said. He also made a commitment to fuel-efficient cars and alternative energy technologies "that can free us from our dependence on foreign oil and keep our economy competitive in the years ahead."

Obama pointed to the past, saying that Americans in this country's darkest hours have risen above their divisions to solve their problems, as a hope for the future.
If he can do this, kudos to him! On we go!!!!!!!!
That's not CHANGE - it's (basically) FDR's "New Deal" from the 1930's -
but it's a start.

ANYTHING to get people off the welfare and unemployment rolls
is good for the country.
Don't start none...won't be none.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

It is very New Dealish. And much that we are seeing is only "change" if you are thinking of the Bush admin, although Geraldine Ferraro insists that Obama putting Clinton-era people in high positions is change, because we can't expect him to put in people without experience.

I was thinking, why not put people in who have experience, but not the experience of having run our government previously, but experience running successful businesses? Wouldn't that be real change?
Onward and Upward!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

awip2062 wrote: I was thinking, why not put people in who have experience, but not the experience of having run our government previously, but experience running successful businesses? Wouldn't that be real change?
You mean, like, an experienced BIPARTISAN Cabinet, with members from
the private sector??

As long as the private sector members are not bankers, brokers or
Detroit CEO's - I'm all in for that.

Obama has stated over and over that he's going to have a bipartisan
cabinet, but so far we have nothing but Clintonistas.

C'mon Barack....do the right thing Bro.

Don't lie to the folks this early on the ride. You don't want none o' that. :???:
zepboy

Post by zepboy »

I am looking at the bright side. The big O is showing his true colors before he takes office. He is showing that his campaign promises were made to get him in office, and nothing more. The man IS NOT keeping us guessing. He is proving he lied before he even takes over.

Now THAT'S a refreshing change! :-D :-D :-D
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Well, it looks like he might keep Gates. That's one man we can't call a Clintonista.

Still isn't what I'd call change, though. I want fresh faces not a rearrangement of those who've been involved in running government for years (decades).
Onward and Upward!
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Whatever.
It's just good that there aren't a bunch of conservative Republicans rubbing each others asses and looking the other way as the country goes to shit anymore. So for 4 or 8 years Obama will work to turn this bitch around and make life better for all concerned while some complain and frown and detract all along the way. So if and when we begin to see recovery, and the methods of this "agent of non-change" changes us back for the better, remember to take yourselves out of the celebration. You have done nothing to support or nurture this healing process. On the contrary, you've done and said every negative thing that comes to mind, simply because the opposite of what you wanted for a president is attempting to janitor up this hellacious mess. I can't imagine why anyone would want this job, especially with all of the ungrateful people spewing vilifying slander and needless, negative rhetoric, but there he is, vowing to work on our multitude of problems every waking moment.

I'd love to see who and what a Republican would be selecting for the cabinet. There wouldn't be one Dem, not one science-based, secular humanitarian within a hundred miles of the good ol' boy party. Folks wouldn't be selected on the basis of their good works or potential greatness. Like with the idiot Blogo, seats would be given according to how much one is willing to "pay" and/or at least it would all be a matter of how loyal you are to the "status quo" party, how little you intend to do and how vacuous your words are, just in case anyone is actually listening or taking notes.

This isn't directed at anyone in particular. It alludes to you if you want it to, but not intended to insult. It expresses my disdain toward all of the negativity directed at the new Democratic leadership, before they have even been given a chance to do anything.

Present slings and arrows now. Shields up.
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

I don't know why the president should have to do a damned thing for a capitalist nations economy, its not as if you elect economists, and it is supposed to be a free market, hence boom and bust is part of the process. Its the government not the nations baby sitter.

I think the same thing about Canadas social/capitalist economy but our government actually has their foot in a lot of places officially, banks airports, railways etc
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Big Blue Owl wrote: So if and when we begin to see recovery, and the
methods of this "agent of non-change" changes us back for the better,
remember to take yourselves out of the celebration. You have done
nothing to support or nurture this healing process. On the contrary,
you've done and said every negative thing that comes to mind, simply
because the opposite of what you wanted for a president is attempting to
janitor up this hellacious mess.
I appreciate you saying that. It reinforces my true belief that W will
neverrrrr-ruh be recognized for anything good he did for us -
like deposing tyrants, keeping us safe since 9/11, vaporizing terrorists
straight to hell and getting gas back down to under two bucks a gallon.

Nope, he'll only be remembered for muffing his lines and dodging flying
shoes. That's not fair, but that's life...and it sells newspapers.
Big Blue Owl wrote: It expresses my disdain toward all of the
negativity directed at the new Democratic leadership, before they have
even been given a chance to do anything.
I'm with you on that Owlie. We have to support the new administration
at any cost, and I agree that they've been tarred and feathered before
they even move in. That's not fair either, but...that's life too. Reagan
went through the same thing when Carter got his walking papers.
Nobody gave him a chance in hell.
Big Blue Owl wrote: Present slings and arrows now. Shields up.
Good move! hahahaha That rocked Bro! :headbang:
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Thanks Cygman, but I am sorry for my last post. It was not fair and it's not true. I guess I just let being pissed get the better of me. I had it under control for a while, but...well, sorry.
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Big Blue Owl wrote:Thanks Cygman, but I am sorry for my last post. It was not fair and it's not true. I guess I just let being pissed get the better of me. I had it under control for a while, but...well, sorry.
It's okay Owlie. No need for apologies. You were just telling it like it is.

Who wouldn't want that? I mean, isn't posting supposed to contain some
form of emotion? Rock on, Brother.

And lets' face it, it's been a uphill pedal for you, but the sun is shining on
democrats this time around, and that's fair. It's the republicans' turn to
sit on the back burner now.

I see both sides of the fence on this, thanks to you and the rest of the
BT board, but I'm staying as far away from D.C. as I can, come January
20th.

That place is gonna be off the HOOK! Thank God I'm not near ground zero. LOL

You should see the money that D.C. metro peeps are getting for renting
out rooms of their homes for inauguration visitors!

Don't change a thing Owlie. We'll call you a ALIEN if you do. :razz: :lol:
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Thank you Joey. Image
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Big Blue Owl wrote:Thank you Joey. Image
Thank YOU Bro, for waking me up to other views.

I'm just glad you're not one of the far left tinfoil-hat-wearin' moonbats.

They scare me. :shock: :???: :P

Speaking of which...

Code Pink made village idiots out of themselves with their open shoe-throwing
at the Bush effigy.

Are you kidding me?

Kindergartners at recess were more mature, but we better get back on
topic, 'fore HairyDude hands out gifts of power wedgies for Christmas. :roll: :lol:
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

TOO LATE!!!!!

LOL :-D
This space for rent