The Obama Test

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Gotta agree with BBO here, the answers we are asked to pick from just can't be reduced down to a simple yes and no for this question (even if it were about his kin in Africa living on $12 a month) and still be able to get an accurate response from me.
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Big Blue Owl wrote:
ElfDude wrote:
awip2062 wrote:Some of the questions were quite easy to answer and others were very hard. An example of a hard question was the one about whether or not I would financially help a step-brother of mine who was living in a slum barely making it on $300 a year. Well....does he want my help? Would he actually use the finances I gave him to improve his lot or shoot it up his arm or drink it or spend it on something else that would not help his standard of living?
This question was in reference to a brother (technically a half-brother) Obama has in Kenya. He's in a shack and lives on $12 a year.
And I saw that as an equal to something like, "Would you leave your wife of 10 years after she agonized for seven of them over you being tortured daily in an enemy country." It may be a valid question, but not for a poll that has you choose between two narrow choices.
I'm not gonna argue with that.

edit: Although... McCain did call that action his biggest moral failing in his lifetime. There's a little something to be said for owning up to our mistakes.
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Yeah, we do need to admit to our failings.
Onward and Upward!
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

'bout time to move on the latter if you ask me. Strictly my opinion.
I agree! I just don't think that caring for the environs would harm the development of new sources of energy.
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

awip2062 wrote:Gotta agree with BBO here, the answers we are asked to pick from just can't be reduced down to a simple yes and no for this question (even if it were about his kin in Africa living on $12 a month) and still be able to get an accurate response from me.

I would help him.

I mean, even NOAH was a drunk - and he was saved. :wink:

Genesis 9:20-21:
20 - And Noah began to be an husbandman, and he planted a vineyard:
21 - And he drank of the wine, and was drunken; and he was uncovered
within his tent.
Don't start none...won't be none.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

CygnusX1 wrote:
awip2062 wrote:Gotta agree with BBO here, the answers we are asked to pick from just can't be reduced down to a simple yes and no for this question (even if it were about his kin in Africa living on $12 a month) and still be able to get an accurate response from me.

I would help him.

within his tent.
Just that one time... ;)
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Big Blue Owl wrote:
'bout time to move on the latter if you ask me. Strictly my opinion.
I agree! I just don't think that caring for the environs would harm the development of new sources of energy.
The two activities certainly don't have to be mutually exclusive. :)

I suspect that question was worded the way it was out of the frustration of having had the environmental lobby completely owning our legislators for so long.
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

ElfDude wrote:
I'm not gonna argue with that.

edit: Although... McCain did call that action his biggest moral failing in his lifetime. There's a little something to be said for owning up to our mistakes.
Yes, I totally agree. And I think that there's a LOT to be said for those who own up to their responsibilities in the first place.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

ElfDude wrote:
I suspect that question was worded the way it was out of the frustration of having had the environmental lobby completely owning our legislators for so long.
And that certainly would have gotten some red marks from my English teacher. :lol:
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

CygnusX1 wrote:

I would help him.

within his tent.
As far as we are told it was just the once.

And, being a drunk doesn't keep you from being saved. Jesus hung with the drunks and whores, after all. They wanted to be around Him. Many of them ended up changing because they wanted to change after being with Him.

But, as for the helping, I don't think that giving money to someone who is needy who is going to use the money in ways that won't help his situation is helping.
Onward and Upward!
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

I want to re-iterate something;
I didn't mean it to sound like I was attacking you for posting the poll, Cyg. I probably would have if I stumbled across it as well, except that the poll is authored by Bradley O'Leary, who has written books and articles with titles like "Top 200 Reasons To Not Vote For Bill Clinton" and The Audacity Of Deceit - Barack Obama's War On American Values. He is one of the multi-millionaires that are in the small percentage that fears having to pay taxes on his income, rather than having the Bush tax breaks. You can see how I may see a bias now? O'Leary's bias is well-documented, and this poll/questionnaire is another of his literary machinations, carefully worded to make Obama's policies seem completely wrong.
On the other hand, it has sparked a lively conversation! I likey! :-)
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

And one that doesn't seem to be at all heated.

*prepares to throw rocks anyway just for fun*
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

*gets out his trash can lid shield*
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Big Blue Owl wrote:I want to re-iterate something;
I didn't mean it to sound like I was attacking you for posting the poll, Cyg. I probably would have if I stumbled across it as well, except that the poll is authored by Bradley O'Leary, who has written books and articles with titles like "Top 200 Reasons To Not Vote For Bill Clinton" and The Audacity Of Deceit - Barack Obama's War On American Values. He is one of the multi-millionaires that are in the small percentage that fears having to pay taxes on his income, rather than having the Bush tax breaks. You can see how I may see a bias now? O'Leary's bias is well-documented, and this poll/questionnaire is another of his literary machinations, carefully worded to make Obama's policies seem completely wrong.
On the other hand, it has sparked a lively conversation! I likey! :-)
no problem Owlie....I read SQUAT from Bradley O'Leary, and never heard
of him until you typed it. I don't like haters either. :roll:

I just tried to answer as honestly as possible, and as you can see by the
responses, there are certain things about Obama we other-than-
Democrats actually agree on.
Don't start none...won't be none.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

*lets them fly*

Bombs awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! You'll never disagree with me again! mwahahahahahahahahahahaha :smt093
Onward and Upward!