Dream Theater!!!

Music outside of Rush

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

RUSHrox

Dream Theater!!!

Post by RUSHrox »

i notesed there wasent a DT topic here already. so i had to post one.

DT RULES (everyone exept rush)

but it sucks that they dont come to canada for their tours.

THEY ROCK!!!

i bought train of thought recently. endless sacrifice and in the name of god are some of dt's best songs. the rest of the cd is not nearly as good.
i dont no how long ill be back for.
maybee for never?
Zivo
Location: "A place not too far from here, as a matter of fact

Post by Zivo »

I love their first album "When Dream And Day Unite". It is much heavier in music and lyric content. A different vocalist than all the other albums, and I really like him allot more. This album has no whininess, no "girly" love songs...Truly one of the all-time great albums. It's almost impossible to find now, even though they re-issued it a few years ago. One may be able to find it on ebay for a fortune.
PV
Site Admin

Post by PV »

I have just been turned on to DT by a friend. I have "Awake" and "Train of Thought." The jury is still out on them but so far, not too shabby.
I don't have faith in faith, I don't believe in belief, You can call me faithless, I still cling to hope, And I believe in love, And that's faith enough for me... Neil Peart
RUSHrox

Post by RUSHrox »

hey pv, you should get the album "Images and Words" next. i think its their best
i dont no how long ill be back for.
maybee for never?
Zivo
Location: "A place not too far from here, as a matter of fact

Post by Zivo »

Yes, that one is great. I was lucky to see them here on that tour in a club with about 15 other people in the place. It was when it was first released. They were all just hanging out before and after the show, and didn't seem to mind the lack of crowd. 7 months later the same club, and the line was wrapped aroung the building to get in. I'd go see them anytime :D
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I own almost every album (burned), and I have an actual copy of Train Of Thought. One of my favorite bands for sure, I think Portnoy's drumming and the epic length of alot of their songs is what turns me on about them, those things and the great Rush covers they've done. 8)

Post by 1001001 »

I have:

Awake
Images & Words
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
and Train of Thought

Awake and Images & Words are my favorite albums so far. "Pull Me Under" and "Caught In A Web" are my favorite songs.
Memory banks unloading
Bytes break into bits
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

Kevin wrote:I own almost every album (burned), and I have an actual copy of Train Of Thought. One of my favorite bands for sure, I think Portnoy's drumming and the epic length of alot of their songs is what turns me on about them, those things and the great Rush covers they've done. 8)

If they are one of your favourite band, why don't you buy their cd's and support them . It just seems logically to help benefit a band you like does it not?

"The Great Debate" by Dream Theater

Post by 1001001 »

Is it just me, or does "The Great Debate" from Dream Theater's album, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, contains parts of "Natural Science" by Rush?

Most notably, the guitar right after the news clips (2:44), and the guitar after the chorus (4:19).
Memory banks unloading
Bytes break into bits
Amarok

Post by Amarok »

Dream Theater? Oh ja!!!!

No doubt that they were been inspired by Rush in some cases.
*Lifesonite
Location: Flowing Through The Universe, In A Paisley Shirt... Man.

Post by *Lifesonite »

They formed originally to play Rush covers at Berklee Music College, or so I heard. I don't know if that's true or not but a fact is that they're all Rush fans 8)
Unit One

Post by Unit One »

*Lifesonite wrote:They formed originally to play Rush covers at Berklee Music College, or so I heard. I don't know if that's true or not but a fact is that they're all Rush fans 8)
When DT first got together, they were called Majesty. I have their cover of "YYZ" from 1985/1986, when they still attended Berklee.

If anybody wants a copy - PM me.
Memory banks unloading
Bytes break into bits
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

But have you heard the music of Liquid Tension Experiment.
This is a side project for Portnoy with his guitarist and keyboardist and its almost totally instrumental. Wow, I almost like it better than DT and I have almost all of DT's cd's.
This space for rent
PV
Site Admin

Post by PV »

I've been listening to DT more and more lately and have found a few songs I really like! :D

6:00
Caught In A Web
Innocence Faded
Lifting Shadows Off A Dream (I really like this one)
The Silent Man
I don't have faith in faith, I don't believe in belief, You can call me faithless, I still cling to hope, And I believe in love, And that's faith enough for me... Neil Peart
*Lifesonite
Location: Flowing Through The Universe, In A Paisley Shirt... Man.

Post by *Lifesonite »

Like Unit One, I also have a few covers of theirs. I have YYZ, Jacob's Ladder, a medley of Different Strings and La Villa. I also have two Pink Floyd covers of Comfortably Numb and Hey You. If anyones interested just drop by on one of my messengers located below!
I remember watching in amazement as Geddy sang, played bass, and played the keyboards with his feet. I thought, "Who is this guy???"
-- IFALT