This is whats wrong with music

Music outside of Rush

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

YYZ30

This is whats wrong with music

Post by YYZ30 »

http://ca.today.reuters.com/news/newsAr ... ived=False

Are you kidding me? This no talent wreck who should be in rehab with Amy Winehouse (pun intended) is leading the downloads this week?

I'll be in the corner with my Heart LP's if you need me. This so called "music" is ruining the industry and the very definition of music itself-and we just keep feeding the machine by downloading her stuff.

She is a no talent hack- end of story.

Jeezus almighty.

EDITED - for clarity
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

*siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh*

Looks like it is up to us to infect the children of the day with a taste for good music!
Onward and Upward!
DoctorX

Re: This is whats wrong with music

Post by DoctorX »

YYZ30 wrote:http://ca.today.reuters.com/news/newsAr ... ived=False

Are you kidding me? This no talent wreck who should be in rehab with Amy Winehouse (pun intended) is leading the downloads this week?
Hey, I LIKE Amy Winehouse. :razz:

But yeah, Brittany sucks, and so does most popular music.
Strength and beauty destined to decay
so cut the rose in full bloom.
Till the fearless come and the act is done
A love like blood
a love like blood

~Killing Joke~
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

you can just skip listening to anything from the 90's from america (and alot of europe) and not miss much or anything
YYZ30

Re: This is whats wrong with music

Post by YYZ30 »

DoctorX wrote:
YYZ30 wrote:http://ca.today.reuters.com/news/newsAr ... ived=False

Hey, I LIKE Amy Winehouse. :razz:

But yeah, Brittany sucks, and so does most popular music.
No, I like Amy also- she's got a bit of a drinking problem though from what I read.
KaelMwithascrubbrush
Location: I don't know, but there's a snake in my boot and an arrow just hit me in the butt!

Post by KaelMwithascrubbrush »

Say what?
"I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five."
-Steven Wright
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Sir Myghin wrote:you can just skip listening to anything from the 90's from america (and alot of europe) and not miss much or anything

Not true Myg. Pearl Jam's debut album is awesome.

Then again, you all have Celine so there. :-D :razz:
This space for rent
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

Walkinghairball wrote:
Sir Myghin wrote:you can just skip listening to anything from the 90's from america (and alot of europe) and not miss much or anything

Not true Myg. Pearl Jam's debut album is awesome.

Then again, you all have Celine so there. :-D :razz:
SirM, maybe you were an embryo during the 90's but there are veritable feasts of decent music from that era.
Imho the 'grunge' thang produced some classic bands and timeless material. You got that right Bro with the debut (and the following four) Pearl Jam album but dare I mention the obvious dross that is Soundgarden, Alice In Chains and that little band Nirvana to name but a few?

For shame Mydweeb :-)
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

There was stuff from Pantera, too.
Onward and Upward!
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

awip2062 wrote:There was stuff from Pantera, too.
Ooh...good call t. I saw them on the 'Far Beyond Driven' tour of '92 (I think), Mrs Ogg's first gig, the volume and claustrophobia freaked her out so I led her to the outskirts with a friend and promptly joined in with moshing...lost my glasses that night \m/
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I think music kinda lost its way in the '90s, but there is still a vast assortment of bands and songs that were most excellent.
Onward and Upward!
DoctorX

Post by DoctorX »

I hate to say it, but Cobain was right about Pearl Jam. They were the most traditional and conservative of all the grunge bands, and they inspired a bunch of bland middle-American rock for years to come.

I actually do like Pearl Jam fairly well, but their appeal has faded more to me with age. It's now pretty clear to me that they they really just rehashed what Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, Neil Young, and the Blue Oyster Cult were doing in the 1970s.

I think a lot of great American music came out in the early '90s, but the music scene became much more homogenized and corporate as the decade wore on. The introduction of the Telecommunications Act of 1996 really fucked things up. The major record labels continued to consolidate ownership, the radio stations did the same, and payola became rampant. You couldn't generate a hit single unless you were bankrolled by a multi-billion dollar corporation who could afford to pay MTV and Clear Channel under the table, in return for your fame.

And the labels usually demanded that their artists create regurgitated drivel; copies of copies of what consumers had already bought before. A safe bet as protection for their investments.
Strength and beauty destined to decay
so cut the rose in full bloom.
Till the fearless come and the act is done
A love like blood
a love like blood

~Killing Joke~
KaelMwithascrubbrush
Location: I don't know, but there's a snake in my boot and an arrow just hit me in the butt!

Post by KaelMwithascrubbrush »

DoctorX wrote:The introduction of the Telecommunications Act of 1996 really fucked things up.
I'll stand up and testify on that one! Once media companies began to conglomorate, independent music was squeezed to become comercial. Jazz suffered in the nineties, as well. I think, however, with the growth of narrowcasting via the Internet and email, less comercialized music has a chance to resurge.
"I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five."
-Steven Wright
YYZ30

Post by YYZ30 »

DoctorX wrote:
I actually do like Pearl Jam fairly well, but their appeal has faded more to me with age. It's now pretty clear to me that they they really just rehashed what Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, Neil Young, and the Blue Oyster Cult were doing in the 1970s.
But isn't most music cyclical?
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

DoctorX wrote:I hate to say it, but Cobain was right about Pearl Jam. They were the most traditional and conservative of all the grunge bands, and they inspired a bunch of bland middle-American rock for years to come.

I think a lot of great American music came out in the early '90s, but the music scene became much more homogenized and corporate as the decade wore on. The introduction of the Telecommunications Act of 1996 really fucked things up. The major record labels continued to consolidate ownership, the radio stations did the same, and payola became rampant. You couldn't generate a hit single unless you were bankrolled by a multi-billion dollar corporation who could afford to pay MTV and Clear Channel under the table, in return for your fame.

And the labels usually demanded that their artists create regurgitated drivel; copies of copies of what consumers had already bought before. A safe bet as protection for their investments.
Yeh...wot he said (apart from the Pearl Jam) :-)

Just looking through my album collection and I unearthed a few gems (from the 'rock' genre') most prevailent throughout the 90's. Great bands such as Tool, Stabbing Westward, Soul Asylum, RHCP, Smashing Pumpkins, Nine Inch Nails, Metallica, The Black Crowes, Faith No More, Live, Blind Melon, Stone Temple Pilots, Temple Of The Dog, Mother Love Bone and no doubt more...
Whatever the situation good music will out :-)