NFL Thread

Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, it's all here

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Middle Kingdom

Post by Middle Kingdom »

Soup4Rush wrote:asleep by the end of the 1st... 4-4 blah...
I hear yah.....if we weren't in a division of mediocrity, fighting for first,
I'd have been asleep too.

A division title with Cassel would be a cool thing,
so we gotta keep watching here.
Tom Jones

Post by Tom Jones »

American football....ppppppppppsh.

Try Rugby, that's a MAN'S sport :-D
YYZ30

Post by YYZ30 »

Bye bye Mangini!!!!!!

http://wbztv.com/sports/nationalsports/ ... 96248.html

The password is "schadenfreude"
Middle Kingdom

Post by Middle Kingdom »

The play of the season was 3rd & 15 in OT at home vs the Jets.
A stop and we would have won, as at that point we had all the momentum.
Jets convert and win, and alas we are out.

Cassel will be franchised, and we'll keep him in case Brady isn't ready to go.
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Sources: Colts coach Dungy is stepping downby Jay Glazer

Updated: January 12, 2009, 11:30 AM EST 164 comments add this RSS blog email Print Tony Dungy is stepping down as head coach of the Colts ? at least that's what he's telling those inside the team headquarters, sources told FOXSports.com.

While the team has scheduled a 5 p.m. press conference, Dungy is walking around the team's complex saying goodbye to players and team employees and informing them that the transition should be a smooth one for new coach Jim Caldwell.

According to one source, Dungy explained that he has talked it over with his family and they believed this was the proper time to step down, while the Colts' nucleus was still intact.

Dungy is perhaps the most respected head coach among peers and players of this era. He won a Super Bowl two seasons ago and at that time many thought he would step down. Again last year it was predicted by some he would step down, but he decided instead to pick his predecessor and stay on for one more year.

Dungy's Indianapolis tenure will finish after seven seasons with a record of 92-33, and a postseason berth in all seven years with the club.
This space for rent
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Chiefs decide three seasons are enough, fire head coach Edwards
Associated Press
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Herm Edwards, the head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs during the worst two-year span in team history, was fired Friday.

Despite media reports to the contrary, NFL Network's Adam Schefter says Mike Shanahan isn't going to be the next coach of the Chiefs.
Edwards goes out with a three-year regular-season record of 15-33 and with one year remaining on a four-year, $12 million contract. As head coach of the New York Jets from 2001 to 2005, he had a regular-season mark of 39-41 and was 2-3 in the playoffs.

Edwards had been waiting to learn his fate since president and general manager Carl Peterson abruptly resigned on Dec. 15. When Scott Pioli was introduced as Peterson's successor on Jan. 13, he was noncommittal and said only that he intended to speak with Edwards.

"This was not an easy decision," Chiefs owner Clark Hunt said in a written statement released by the team. "Herm is an outstanding football coach and a man of integrity. We appreciate his leadership over the past three seasons, and we wish him all the best in the future."

Pioli said he has had several talks with Edwards over the last week.

"Since my arrival last week, Herm and I have had several conversations as part of my overall evaluation of the football operation," Pioli said in the statement. "After careful consideration, Clark and I felt that it was best to make a change."

Bob Moore, a spokesman for the team, said the Chiefs didn't have a timeline for replacing Edwards. He said all the assistant coaches still with Kansas City are under contract.

Edwards expressed his gratitude to the Hunt family and said he respected "the tough decision that was made to move in a new direction."

Herm Edwards joined the Chiefs in 2006 after five seasons with the Jets and has been an NFL head coach for eight years.

Herm Edwards' NFL head-coaching record
Season Team Record Finish
2001 Jets 10-6 L, AFC Wild Card
2002 Jets 9-7 L, AFC Divisional Playoff
2003 Jets 6-10 No playoff berth
2004 Jets 10-6 L, AFC Divisional Playoff
2005 Jets 4-12 No playoff berth
2006 Chiefs 9-7 L, AFC Wild Card
2007 Chiefs 4-12 No playoff berth
2008 Chiefs 2-14 No playoff berth
Totals 54-74 2-4 in playoff games

"There is not a more gracious family in all of professional sports than the Hunts," Edwards said in a statement released by the team. "To the players and coaches who worked so hard for our team, I appreciate their efforts. This is going to be a very good football team. The support of Chiefs fans across the country has been tremendous. They are truly passionate about their football team."

After Edwards and Peterson launched a full-fledged rebuilding project in 2008, youth and injury led to a 2-14 record and a distressful two-year tally of 6-26 that cost both men their jobs. Particularly embarrassing to Edwards was a defense that managed just 10 sacks this season and gave up a team-record 332 rushing yards in one game and a team-record 54 points in another. Edwards had promised on his first day as head coach to repair the weak defense that characterized the five-year Dick Vermeil regime.

Following a 10-year career as an NFL cornerback, Edwards' first experience with Kansas City came as a training-camp assistant in 1989. Seventeen years later, he had the distinction of being the first man to become head coach of the team that brought him into the NFL through the league's minority coaching fellowship program.

Despite the losses, his players remained loyal to their charismatic coach, whose background as a cornerback on the Philadelphia Eagles' 1980 Super Bowl team gave him a special rapport with them.

"A coach's main job is to make sure a team is prepared," Pro Bowl guard Brian Waters, one of the Chiefs' few veterans, said shortly before the team ended its season. "There is no doubt that this team has been well prepared every week. Herm and the coaches can't go onto the field and make plays. That's up to the players, and that's just something we haven't done this year. In no way do I think Herm is responsible for our record."

Edwards' most costly mistake might have been overlooking Brodie Croyle's history of injuries and designating him as the foundation quarterback. A third-round draft pick out of Alabama in 2006, Croyle could never stay healthy and was 0-8 as a starter when he went down for the season with a knee injury.

Edwards' first year in Kansas City was a success. The Chiefs went 9-7 and claimed the AFC's last wild-card playoff spot. Edwards became just the fifth man to take two different teams to the postseason in his first year as head coach; the Jets went to the playoffs three times in his five seasons in New York.

Edwards wanted to begin dismantling an aging Chiefs team and start rebuilding in 2007, but he ran into opposition from a front office that believed there was enough left for another playoff run. After an encouraging 4-3 start, age and ineffectiveness at several key positions created problems, and Kansas City ended 2007 on a nine-game losing streak.

With Hunt's blessing, Edwards finally launched his youth movement in 2008 and opened the season at New England with the youngest squad in the league.

Edwards knew it would be a difficult chore because of all the youth, but he didn't foresee an injury epidemic that robbed him of his two top quarterbacks, made a shambles of the linebacker corps and weakened the defensive line, offensive line and secondary.

Edwards' firing means a league-record 11 NFL teams will make head-coaching changes this season. Kansas City and Oakland are the only two teams still looking for a head coach.
This space for rent
zepboy

Post by zepboy »

Ok, ok, It's superbowl week. ya'll know what that means . . . commercials!

See if ya remember this one!

http://www.rd.com/advice-and-know-how/t ... 955-4.html

:-D
zepboy

Post by zepboy »

zepboy

Post by zepboy »

Walkinghairball

I just read on the Comcast site that if Cassel don't take the "Franchise" tag he can be scooped up by whomever. But the Pats can match and keep him in NE. If the Pats keep him he and Brady will be 25% of the teams cap.

Makes you wonder............................ :-)
This space for rent
YYZ30

Post by YYZ30 »

Walkinghairball wrote:I just read on the Comcast site that if Cassel don't take the "Franchise" tag he can be scooped up by whomever. But the Pats can match and keep him in NE. If the Pats keep him he and Brady will be 25% of the teams cap.

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Cassel got the Franchise tag last night.
Walkinghairball

YYZ30 wrote:
Walkinghairball wrote:I just read on the Comcast site that if Cassel don't take the "Franchise" tag he can be scooped up by whomever. But the Pats can match and keep him in NE. If the Pats keep him he and Brady will be 25% of the teams cap.

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Cassel got the Franchise tag last night.

I know that, but if he chooses he can still go elsewhere as an unrestricted free agant...........but the Pats can match and keep him. Unless I totally misunderstood how that crap works. I was still just waking up when I read the article.
:-D
This space for rent
Walkinghairball

Here is the article I saw.
The New England Patriots placed the franchise tag on Matt Cassel on Thursday, making it tougher for other teams to sign the free agent quarterback.

The Patriots might keep him if they have doubts that Tom Brady will be ready for the start of next season after sustaining a serious knee injury in the 2008 opener. If they're confident Brady will be ready, they could trade Cassel rather than pay him the $14.65 million offer for 2009 in the franchise designation.

Cassel had a breakout season in 2008, starting 15 games after starting none the seven previous seasons - four with Southern California as backup to Heisman Trophy winners Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart, and three after New England drafted him in the seventh round in 2005.

For now, he remains a free agent, but the Patriots can match any offer made by another team or allow him to sign with that team in exchange for two first-round draft picks. The franchise tag value is the average of the top five paid NFL players at a particular position.

If and when Cassel signs the one-year designation, he will be under contract to the Patriots and could be dealt.

``Matt has been a pleasure to coach his entire career and last season in particular, when his years of hard work and commitment resulted in a most impressive performance,'' Patriots coach Bill Belichick said in a statement. ``We look forward to working with Matt again in 2009.''

David Dunn, Cassel's agent, did not return a phone call seeking comment.

Cassel's stock soared after he took over for Brady and helped the Patriots to an 11-5 record, but New England missed the playoffs.

Brady, who led the Patriots to an unbeaten regular season in 2007 and their fourth Super Bowl in eight years, went to the turf midway through the first quarter on Sept. 7 after being hit in the backfield by Kansas City safety Bernard Pollard. The two-time Super Bowl MVP had started 128 games and was replaced by Cassel, who helped the Patriots to a 17-10 win.

Brady underwent surgery for torn ligaments on Oct. 6, then had follow-up surgery to treat a postoperative infection.

On Jan. 21, he said in an interview that his rehabilitation was ``going really well,'' but he did not offer a timetable for a return to the field. He made his comments on Toronto sports radio station The Fan 590. Brady was not asked during the interview if he expected to be ready for training camp or the start of the regular season.

Teams are allowed to place the franchise tag on one player per season. Without it, Cassel would have become an unrestricted free agent Feb. 27 and been able to sign with any team without compensation to the Patriots. The period in which a team can designate a franchise player is Feb. 5-19.

Last season, Cassel finished with 327 completions in 516 attempts (63.4 percent) for 3,693 yards, 21 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. The yardage was the fourth most in the AFC and the completion percentage was the third best in team history.

If the Patriots keep Brady and Cassel, they would have two quarterbacks taking up nearly 25 percent of the team's salary cap of $123 million for 2009. Brady's cap charge will be $14.62 million, although his actual salary for the year is $5 million with a $3 million bonus for making the roster.

Cassel is the fifth player in Patriots history to be designated a franchise player. The others were kicker Adam Vinatieri in 2002 and 2005, defensive back Tebucky Jones in 2003 and cornerback Asante Samuel in 2007. The Patriots waited until the last day to place the tag on all but Samuel, doing it six days earlier.

In 2002, the Patriots lifted the tag after they reached a multiyear agreement with Vinatieri. But he played under the tag in 2005, then left as a free agent for Indianapolis. In 2003, the Patriots traded Jones to New Orleans for three draft picks.

In 2007, Samuel held out of training camp until the Patriots agreed not to apply the tag to him again in 2008 if he played in 60 percent of the defensive snaps or they won 12 games. Both conditions were met and he left after that season for Philadelphia as a free agent.

The Associated Press
This space for rent
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

That sucks about Hermie Edwards, Bro.

He's too good a coach for that.

Someone had to be the fall guy though.

I hope Indy considers him.

He came from the same mold as Dungy.
Walkinghairball

I'm going to try to not even care about the Chiefs till next season starts up.....................I doubt I will be able to, but what the heck.

I hope that dude from the Pats organization, ( I forgot his name), is able to help the team rebuild like he did for the Pats though. That would be Dynamic!!!!
This space for rent