Steve Vai

Music outside of Rush

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

awip2062

Steve Vai

Post by awip2062 »

I have been remiss. I've been back two days now and no review. *bad t, bad!*

The gig was in the Moore Theatre in Seattle, right downtown, not far from Pike's Place Market. We got there before the doors opened, and, amazingly found parking on the same block as the theatre for $10.

Our seats were in the balcony, but they were still really good. The way the theatre is set up, even the farthest seat in the balcony still has a good view of the faces of the performers. The boys sat by themselves and I sat further up because I had bought one ticket at a later time than the other two.

The opening act came on 1/2 hour before the ticket said the show was to start, and 1/2 hour after the doors were opened. I was glad we got there early!

Zack Wiesinger was the opener, and he was funny! Here is a pic of him with Steve.
He played his guitar very well, quite technically able, and his lyrics were fun. Last year he participated as a regional finalist in the International Blues Challenge in Memphis, TN, and was awarded The Albert King Award for most promising blues guitarist. Not all of the songs he played were blues, though.

One song he sang was about how his hair was perfect.
"My hair is perfect/ It has seven sides/ My hair is perfect/ I take it for a ride/Roll up the window, please/ It can't feel no breeze..." lol

He reminded me at times of a vaudville act. He kept pretending to get caught up in his cable and he would get loose with exaggerated movements. One time he pretended that while he was playing a song the cable came out of the guitar and he pretended that he didn't know why the guitar went silent. Another time he went to sit on something in front of the stage and he did a little jump to land on his bottom and when his bottom hit, he struck a quick chord on the guitar.

I, sadly, must admit that I enjoyed Zack better than Steve.

Now, don't get me wrong, Steve was amazing. The things that man can do on a guitar and the sounds he can get out of his guitar are just so out there, but....

Well, it is as Leon has said in the past here on BT: Steve plays with his guitar as opposed to plays his guitar. I think it is incredible what he can do, but after a few songs it really geds old for me. What he says with his guitar doesn't speak to me, personally.

My boys, however, they loved what he did. :-D

Steve had two violinists with him, both of them keyboardists as well. Steve mentioned that he got the female violinist from Tull and Ian wants to kick his butt for it! lol

Everyone in the band got to solo; the violinists did it in a kind of duel, and I really enjoyed that part.

The drummer, Jeremy Colson was a kick in the pants to watch, too. He had his drums set up in a way I don't often see. He had his snare and a couple of toms in front of him, with his hat and a china off to the left and then his kick to the right a lil bit and most of his toms and all of his other cymbals to the right. The way he had the instruments on the right set up, it was like a straight line, not curved. He had only the one kick, but he had a double pedal that he used a few times. He played without a shirt, and had quite the tattoo on his chest! What I liked watching the most, though, was how he used his left stick when he was playing closed. He would lift the stick right in front of his face, then it would go around behind his head and then down onto the snare. Slow or fast, hard or soft, this was how he played closed. It made for an interesting show.
Onward and Upward!
Wendy

Post by Wendy »

Looks like you had an entertaining evening at the show.
Pretty wide variety of instruments for a rock concert.
Don't see too many violins rockin' these days.
I always like to see surprise instruments on stage.

What is "playing closed"?
When you mentioned
what the drummer did with his sticks, I can't
visualize what it means to play "closed".
Sound verbalized tones touch textured feel scent wafted aroma see visualize observe sing dance live
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Most drummers play "closed", that is (for a right handed drummer with the snare in front of him and the hi-hat to the left) with their right hand on the hi-hat and the left on the snare. To do that, they have to cross their arms a bit. Open drumming would be done by the same drummer with the right hand on the snare and the left on the hat, so there would be no crossing over of the arms and you would be able to see the torso of the drummer.
Onward and Upward!
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Cool review.

And yes, imagine Neil...........closed playing. Now imagine Kenny Aronoff from John Cougar..................open playing. Not that either is good bad or better than another.

Also, lefty's that play a right handed setup play open.
This space for rent
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

H is being forced to learn both open and closed-handed playing by one of her teachers.

There was one thing I forgot to mention about the Vai gig. When we were standing in line, a big blue owl went past us. Sadly, it wasn't our dear BBO of By-Tor, but merely a shirt on a fellow Rush fan with the Fly By Night album. I did think of BBO, though.
Onward and Upward!
YYZ30

Post by YYZ30 »

See I was the only one that thought Steve geds old fast. He's amazing, but like the lady said he plays with his guitar, he doesn't play it.
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Did he do the any over-the-shoulder guitar slingin'?? :shock: :-D
Don't start none...won't be none.
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

CygnusX1 wrote:Did he do the any over-the-shoulder guitar slingin'?? :shock: :-D
Do frogs have water tight bums? :razz: :-D
This space for rent
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Walkinghairball wrote:
CygnusX1 wrote:Did he do the any over-the-shoulder guitar slingin'?? :shock: :-D
Do frogs have water tight bums? :razz: :-D
Is a pig's ass pork? LOL
Don't start none...won't be none.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Thanks for the review, t.

Who were the members of Steve's band?
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Walkinghairball

ElfDude wrote:Thanks for the review, t.

Yeah, like was Billy on bass like sometimes he is? :???: :?
This space for rent
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Walkinghairball wrote:
ElfDude wrote:Thanks for the review, t.

Yeah, like was Billy on bass like sometimes he is? :???: :?
Yeah! And Tony MacAlpine playing keys and guitar?
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Let's see, I don't know all the names, but...

Steve, duh. Of course Steve was in the band!
Jeremy Colson on drums
Dave Weiner on guitar
Bass I don't know. It sure wasn't Billy, though.

Violins/keyboards were...well the male violinist was named Alex ....forged last name. The female was Anne-Marie....Cunnigham? Not sure. It was Anne-Marie though.
Onward and Upward!
YYZ30

Post by YYZ30 »

awip2062 wrote:Let's see, I don't know all the names, but...

Steve, duh. Of course Steve was in the band!
Jeremy Colson on drums
Dave Weiner on guitar
Bass I don't know. It sure wasn't Billy, though.

Violins/keyboards were...well the male violinist was named Alex ....forged last name. The female was Anne-Marie....Cunnigham? Not sure. It was Anne-Marie though.
Close:

http://www.j-tull.com/musicians/anncalhoun/index.html
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

That be the lass! :-D Good job!

See, these name things are ones I should have written down too, not just notes on drum sets and sticking.

*sigh*

I think I've been infected by drummers. *wink*
Onward and Upward!