Severe disappointment (spoiler!)

Here's your seat for the new tour. There may be, wait, there WILL be spoilers so if you don't want to know, don't go! So pull up a lawn chair and discuss...

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Panacea wrote:My cat Shadow is so smart he figured out what to do if there's a human in both bathrooms--kitchen sink, disposal side. ;-)
If I found feline butt-nuggets in MY sink....

....I'd have to feed the cat to the microwave. :P

Just kidding, but man - I dunno aboooot cat droppings in
the same place I wash stuff that I eat on. :shock: :???:

But hey, whatever trips your trigger. :cool:
Don't start none...won't be none.
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

I applaud your resolution to make "Passage" a bathroom break, seeing how you don't agree with the subject matter and you want to try to shield your children from things you believe to be bad. I wish more parents would take this initiative. We'd have a much more respectful, considerate youth, willing to work hard for the rewards of life.

I've been going to Rush concerts since 1977. My first concert was Kiss in 1976. Seen every Rush show (sometimes 3 in one season) every tour since then. There has been weed-smoking in every single show they have ever played - ever. Alex, Geddy and Neil smoked weed, did acid, snorted coke...I have it all in past magazine interviews, etc. To think that they would consciously take any of the few edges away that they are allowed in this increasingly (ridiculously) conservative society makes anyone who worships free will cringe. Some of the clips shown in the video are from "Reefer Madness", an inaccurate, reactionary film about the horrors of the death weed. All of the video depicts what millions of people do and enjoy every day. It is what the song is about, and it has been brought back again due to popular demand.

Certainly I agree that keeping kids straight and honest for as long as possible is most important. But there are horrors out there that threaten our children and ourselves a lot more than something as pure and natural as a plant that go completely unmentioned in these hallowed halls. Things like Catholic priests destroying children by sodomizing them. Said priests causing a 660 million dollar lawsuit to "mop up" their disgusting, perverted sexual habits (don't forget to tithe! They need it now more than ever!) PRIESTS! Humans of the ultimate godliness and virtue! Entrusted to take our babies under their wing to teach the ways of the Prince Of Peace!

By discussing these unthinkable facets of human nature with our children they can be stronger and aware of the dangers, should they ever encounter bad people such as this, and not go blindly into their bedrooms.

The same can be said for drugs (or even little ol' pot). If they know all the facts, see the images, learn the negatives, they can make educated choices when the time comes (and it will) when we aren't there to protect them.

Bottom line is it is up to us as parents to change the channel, teach them well, and take them for a bathroom break when A Passage To Bangkok's opening riff begins, if the subject matter doesn't meet our approval.

You are a great mom, Pan. Your children are lucky to have you.
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Big Blue Owl wrote:I applaud your resolution to make "Passage" a bathroom break, seeing how you don't agree with the subject matter and you want to try to shield your children from things you believe to be bad. I wish more parents would take this initiative. We'd have a much more respectful, considerate youth, willing to work hard for the rewards of life.

I've been going to Rush concerts since 1977. My first concert was Kiss in 1976. Seen every Rush show (sometimes 3 in one season) every tour since then. There has been weed-smoking in every single show they have ever played - ever. Alex, Geddy and Neil smoked weed, did acid, snorted coke...I have it all in past magazine interviews, etc. To think that they would consciously take any of the few edges away that they are allowed in this increasingly (ridiculously) conservative society makes anyone who worships free will cringe. Some of the clips shown in the video are from "Reefer Madness", an inaccurate, reactionary film about the horrors of the death weed. All of the video depicts what millions of people do and enjoy every day. It is what the song is about, and it has been brought back again due to popular demand.

Certainly I agree that keeping kids straight and honest for as long as possible is most important. But there are horrors out there that threaten our children and ourselves a lot more than something as pure and natural as a plant that go completely unmentioned in these hallowed halls. Things like Catholic priests destroying children by sodomizing them. Said priests causing a 660 million dollar lawsuit to "mop up" their disgusting, perverted sexual habits (don't forget to tithe! They need it now more than ever!) PRIESTS! Humans of the ultimate godliness and virtue! Entrusted to take our babies under their wing to teach the ways of the Prince Of Peace!

By discussing these unthinkable facets of human nature with our children they can be stronger and aware of the dangers, should they ever encounter bad people such as this, and not go blindly into their bedrooms.

The same can be said for drugs (or even little ol' pot). If they know all the facts, see the images, learn the negatives, they can make educated choices when the time comes (and it will) when we aren't there to protect them.

Bottom line is it is up to us as parents to change the channel, teach them well, and take them for a bathroom break when A Passage To Bangkok's opening riff begins, if the subject matter doesn't meet our approval.

TESTIFY BBO!!! :headbang:
YYZ30

Post by YYZ30 »

Big Blue Owl wrote:I applaud your resolution to make "Passage" a bathroom break, seeing how you don't agree with the subject matter and you want to try to shield your children from things you believe to be bad. I wish more parents would take this initiative. We'd have a much more respectful, considerate youth, willing to work hard for the rewards of life.

Well said.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Fortunately, I don't know of anyone writing songs that glorify priests who molest kids.
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

The band Gwar have a part in their set where a priest rapes a boy in a confessional booth, then the priest gets his come-uppance (raped by a giant crucifix) at the hands of Odorous Humungous, the lead spewer.

Definitely do not take children to a Gwar concert.

(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Heh. I never even wanted to take myself to a Gwar concert, let alone a child. Beavis and Butthead pretty much turned me off to them back in the 90's.
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Gwar was/is a very odd group.

Not my thing at all.
This space for rent
Middle Kingdom

Post by Middle Kingdom »

Top notch entertainment there, I'll tell ya.
:shock:
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Walkinghairball wrote:Gwar was/is a very odd group.

Not my thing at all.
Beavis - "GWAR!!! GWAR!!! heh heh heh"

Butthead - GWAR RULES..."huh...huh-huh" :headbang:
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

BBO, you will be glad to know we do talk to the kids about abuses within the church, too.

There are so many issues out there that people have to be concerned about with their kids. We have to teach them about lots of bad stuff so they can avoid things that will hurt them. We have to teach them how to notice things going on around them so they can avoid situations that might be bad for them. There are also people we have to teach the kids about (like the priests) we need to teach them about. Parenting isn't for the lazy! LOL
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

awip2062 wrote: Parenting isn't for the lazy! LOL
No wonder I'm finding it so challenging...
Panacea

Post by Panacea »

CygnusX1 wrote:
Panacea wrote:My cat Shadow is so smart he figured out what to do if there's a human in both bathrooms--kitchen sink, disposal side. ;-)
If I found feline butt-nuggets in MY sink....

....I'd have to feed the cat to the microwave. :P

Just kidding, but man - I dunno aboooot cat droppings in
the same place I wash stuff that I eat on. :shock: :???:

But hey, whatever trips your trigger. :cool:
The way I look at it, the poor cat had no place to go because we humans were occupying his two acceptable potty spots. He could have gone anywhere--the carpet, a bed, behind the couch--but he chose the one place that was easiest to clean up and disinfect. A bit of scrubbing and some disinfectant and it was good to go! :-D Besides, I wash my dishes in the dishwasher. ;-)

... Alex, Geddy and Neil smoked weed, did acid, snorted coke...I have it all in past magazine interviews, etc. ... All of the video depicts what millions of people do and enjoy every day. It is what the song is about, and it has been brought back again due to popular demand.

Thanks, BBO! (May I call you Blue? ;-)) I knew that Rush has done drugs, and I knew what the song was about, and I also realize the song is very popular, especially among those who use pot and/or other drugs. I was just hoping to never see the images I saw during the concert. :-( I think they could easily have played the song and made a video that was neither for or against its use--just neutral shots of them playing and similar graphics to those in other songs. (Heck, they could have shown trains! My hubby would love that!) It wouldn't have stood out from the other videos and nobody would have thought twice about it. However, what's done is done and the only thing I can do is educate and protect my kids the best way I know how. I hope any other parent would do the same! :-)
Enchantment falls around me and I know I cannot leave...
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

We have an analogy as to how we raise our kids. It's kinda like with veggies that can't take the extreme cold. You start the seedlings inside a greenhouse and they get no exposure to the cold at all. Then as they get bigger, you set them outside for a wee bit a day. Gradually, you allow them to stay outside for longer time periods. Finally, you let them stay outside all night.

Our philosophy with kids is similar. When they are quite young and cannot make good choices for themselves we sheild them from as much of the bad stuff of the world as we possibly can. That means that we sheild them from stuff in lyrics, too. As they are growing and their minds are becoming more able to understand and they learn to self-govern and make good choices, we allow them to see more. We let them hear songs we would not before, but we do talk about the song and what it means, relate it to our lives, that kind of thing as well. As they near adulthood, our kids have seen, not just heard about, drug abuse, alcohol abuse, people who are pushing homosexuality, and many other things we wouldn't let the kids around when they were young. Once they are adults (like H is now) it is up to them to decide how they will live, what they will and won't do, all that.
Onward and Upward!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Panacea wrote: The way I look at it, the poor cat had no place to go because we humans were occupying his two acceptable potty spots. He could have gone anywhere--the carpet, a bed, behind the couch--but he chose the one place that was easiest to clean up and disinfect. A bit of scrubbing and some disinfectant and it was good to go! :-D Besides, I wash my dishes in the dishwasher. ;-)
Got garage? LOL

I understand, but if you see a cat on MY sink - he's TOAST.

I keep my cats in line with a squirt gun. Puts the fear 'o' God in 'em. :-D

One look at the "gun", they KNOW they messed up BIG TIME, and they scatter like roaches. :P

I highly recommend it. :cool: