Jethro Tull

Music outside of Rush

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

LisaBug2112

Jethro Tull

Post by LisaBug2112 »

Anyone else going to go see them this year as well? we were going to go see Dream Theater as well, but decided not to.
"Like a flower in the desert that only blooms at night i will quietly resist I dont have faith in faith i dont believe in beliefs you can call me faithless i still kling to hope & i believe in love and thats faith enough for me."
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

I would kill to see Tull live.
This space for rent
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

I love the mighty 'Tull, saw them last in '82 (on the Broadsword and The Beast tour) :-) . I think there are two 'Tull threads here somewhere (one became rather heated if memory serves correct). I'd sure like to see them again. I was watching my 'Ian Anderson plays the Orchestral Jethro Tull' live dvd only last week :-) .
LisaBug2112

Post by LisaBug2112 »

Well we found out by accident they were touring this year, just before the tickets went on sale. Cant wait, not even my long time concert going husband has ever seen them.
"Like a flower in the desert that only blooms at night i will quietly resist I dont have faith in faith i dont believe in beliefs you can call me faithless i still kling to hope & i believe in love and thats faith enough for me."
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

Are you a major Tull fan LB? I am for sure, another of the few bands where I have every album. Ian Anderson is a genius as are the collective Tull.
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Lead flute in a rock and roll band...............................Brilliant!!!

Who thinks of gimmicks like that???

Like AC/DC and the mighty bagpipe solo.
This space for rent
YYZ30

Post by YYZ30 »

Bore 'em at the Forum!

(for those not in the know, Tull was supposedly taking shots at Zeppelin, and John Bonham's response was Tull's next live album was to be titled "Bore 'em at the Forum")
schuette

Post by schuette »

saw Tull in 93'....always loved this band!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Saw the 'War Child' Tour in '75..

Martin Barre was totally convincing when he appeared
during "aqualung"...

The tattered clothes, the dirty look, the blackened and missing teeth...

Then he commenced to SHRED. That was it for me. I was hooked. :-D
Don't start none...won't be none.
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

CygnusX1 wrote:Saw the 'War Child' Tour in '75..

Martin Barre was totally convincing when he appeared
during "aqualung"...

The tattered clothes, the dirty look, the blackened and missing teeth...

Then he commenced to SHRED. That was it for me. I was hooked. :-D
'75? RE-SPECT!!! :-D
YYZ30 wrote:Bore 'em at the Forum!
(for those not in the know, Tull was supposedly taking shots at Zeppelin, and John Bonham's response was Tull's next live album was to be titled "Bore 'em at the Forum")
Hmm...I've read alot of stuff about 'Tull and I know they supported LZep when they first formed (thats Zep not Tull). Ian Anderson has always professed respect for the band and once described the actual experience of supporting a band that was in the process of making rocknroll history as incredulous.
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Thanks D.....Anybody know if Ian is still trout farming? :shock: :?
Don't start none...won't be none.
YYZ30

Post by YYZ30 »

Ogg wrote:
YYZ30 wrote:Bore 'em at the Forum!
Hmm...I've read alot of stuff about 'Tull and I know they supported LZep when they first formed (thats Zep not Tull). Ian Anderson has always professed respect for the band and once described the actual experience of supporting a band that was in the process of making rocknroll history as incredulous.
*googling Jethro Tull Led Zeppelin, find interview*
Q - Did you ever pull that off?

Ian Anderson - Rumor has it that we did. But, I don't like things like that. We went down really well and perhaps Led Zeppelin felt a little uncomfortable, but perhaps they didn't, (laughs). They were a great band. They were the kings of rock 'n' roll. They were 'the' rock band. They really were magnificent.
Wow I learned something new.
LisaBug2112

Post by LisaBug2112 »

Jethro Tull is one of my top ranked favs for bands, i believe we have all their albums as well.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

They are in part responsible for Black Sabbath as well. What Tony Iommi learnt from his two weeks in Tull changed everything for him and without those two weeks, Sab might never have gotten their butts in gear and done what was needed to make it.
Onward and Upward!
Seaton

Post by Seaton »

^ ^ ^
Yeah; Tony left because he didn't like the idea of it being a 'band' where only one guy was in charge of it all...and look what ended up happening with Sabbath in the late '80's-90's. :-D
Tull are absolutely fantastic live, even with Ian's voice fading away (they just do alot more instrumentally as a result now).
They're the band I've seen the most shows of after Black Sabbath, and the only band where I've not only met all of the members once but have also met Martin and Doane (and Dave Pegg when he was in the band) on numerous occasions. Always a great concert to see!
...there's silence between the lines- the harvest died on the vines...