Is Global Warming a Sin?

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

Big Blue Owl wrote:Gordon Ramsey is the exception, though. Really cool. And he is a sinner. And he is responsible for global warming. :lol:
He is supposedly an amazing chef, but it hardly warrants his attitude (I mean anyone can be a douche :P)
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

The difference is, vinegar and water or Tabasco and habanero. :-D
(((((((((((((((all'a you)))))))))))))))
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Gordon Ramsey is the exception, though. Really cool. And he is a sinner. And he is responsible for global warming.

So that's the bastard then?!?! :lol: :-D :razz:
This space for rent
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Yes! He is the facking donkey! :lol:
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Stone him!!!!!!!!!!

It is 420 afterall. :-)
This space for rent
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Sir Myghin wrote:He is supposedly an amazing chef, but it hardly warrants his attitude (I mean anyone can be a douche :P)
You don't achieve Ramsey's level of skill and reputation by being a
doormat.

Just my $.02 :drinkers:
Don't start none...won't be none.
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

CygnusX1 wrote:
Sir Myghin wrote:He is supposedly an amazing chef, but it hardly warrants his attitude (I mean anyone can be a douche :P)
doormat.

There is a difference between doormat and diva :P
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Sir Myghin wrote:
CygnusX1 wrote:
doormat.

There is a difference between doormat and diva :P
It's gotta be the GLOBAL WARMING, Myg.

We all should have listened to Al Gore. We're SO screwed.
Don't start none...won't be none.
schuette

Post by schuette »

seemingly he's not so great anymore...

"It could be about to get very bitchy again in London?s best kitchens.

Gordon Ramsay suffered fresh ignominy last night when his three-star Michelin restaurant dropped out of the world?s Top 100 eating experiences, while his former prot?g? made his first appearance only six months after opening his first solo restaurant after a very public falling-out between the pair."
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

A while back, Charleton Heston read the prologue to Jurassic Park on the Rush Limbaugh program, in an attempt to make fun of anyone who thinks that man can have an adverse affect on the planet. Here is that reading:

HESTON: "You think man can destroy the planet? What intoxicating vanity. Let me tell you about our planet. Earth is four-and-a-half-billion-years-old. There's been life on it for nearly that long, 3.8 billion years. Bacteria first; later the first multicellular life, then the first complex creatures in the sea, on the land. Then finally the great sweeping ages of animals, the amphibians, the dinosaurs, at last the mammals, each one enduring millions on millions of years, great dynasties of creatures rising, flourishing, dying away -- all this against a background of continuous and violent upheaval. Mountain ranges thrust up, eroded away, cometary impacts, volcano eruptions, oceans rising and falling, whole continents moving, an endless, constant, violent change, colliding, buckling to make mountains over millions of years. Earth has survived everything in its time. It will certainly survive us. If all the nuclear weapons in the world went off at once and all the plants, all the animals died and the earth was sizzling hot for a hundred thousand years, life would survive, somewhere: under the soil, frozen in Arctic ice. Sooner or later, when the planet was no longer inhospitable, life would spread again. The evolutionary process would begin again. It might take a few billion years for life to regain its present variety. Of course, it would be very different from what it is now, but the earth would survive our folly, only we would not. If the ozone layer gets thinner, ultraviolet radiation sears the earth, so what? Ultraviolet radiation is good for life. It's powerful energy. It promotes mutation, change. Many forms of life will thrive with more UV radiation. Many others will die out. Do you think this is the first time that's happened? Think about oxygen. Necessary for life now, but oxygen is actually a metabolic poison, a corrosive glass, like fluorine. When oxygen was first produced as a waste product by certain plant cells some three billion years ago, it created a crisis for all other life on earth. Those plants were polluting the environment, exhaling a lethal gas. Earth eventually had an atmosphere incompatible with life. Nevertheless, life on earth took care of itself. In the thinking of the human being a hundred years is a long time. A hundred years ago we didn't have cars, airplanes, computers or vaccines. It was a whole different world, but to the earth, a hundred years is nothing. A million years is nothing. This planet lives and breathes on a much vaster scale. We can't imagine its slow and powerful rhythms, and we haven't got the humility to try. We've been residents here for the blink of an eye. If we're gone tomorrow, the earth will not miss us."

Hmm. I thought the world was only thousands of years old, according to a believer in God. And what does God say about man's affect on the planet? Pretty graphic stuff, really:

Joe 2:31 The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and the terrible day of the LORD come.

Mat 24:29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:

Mar 13:24 But in those days, after that tribulation, the sun shall be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light,

Mar 13:25 And the stars of heaven shall fall, and the powers that are in heaven shall be shaken.

Act 2:20 The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and notable day of the Lord come:

1Th 5:2 For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.

2Pe 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
Rev 3:3 Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.

Rev 6:12 And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood;

Rev 16:15 Behold, I come as a thief. Blessed [is] he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments, lest he walk naked, and they see his shame.

Mat 24:43 But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

I've been trying to stay out of the political conversations on here for a long time. Since this wasn't really a political post, but an attempt to mock Christians I guess I'll respond.
Big Blue Owl wrote:Hmm. I thought the world was only thousands of years old, according to a believer in God.
I am a profound believer. And if you search this very thread you will find multiple posts from me quoting the results of findings of ice core data studies that go back hundreds of thousands of years. So I guess you're talking about some believer other than me. *shrugs*

Now... I'm trying to get what your point was in posting excerpts from those scriptures (also curious who you're copy/pasting from). Maybe you could clarify so I don't respond to something you didn't mean to say?
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

Your use of the word "mock" is saddening and a bit of a surprise to me. I never post to mock any of my friends. No, I did not mean you when I mentioned the 5000 year-old earth, but others on this board have argued that scientists are full of crap and that the earth is only thousands of years old.

What's that Carole King song? :-)

And it is completely obvious that I wasn't speaking of you personally, due to the fact that I assumed you didn't even look in the political threads, let alone post in them anymore. But just the fact that you'd assume that I was talking about you, not Charelton Heston, the reader of the piece says that you really, deep down, think that I have some malice toward you. Couldn't be farther from the truth if it was on ex-planet Pluto.

My point may not be as clear as I saw it; Life is full of contradictions. Someone who is a God and gun Republican, reading out a passage from a novelist who says that the human race is so very minute in its worth and importance, attempting to call anyone who is careful and mindful of maintaining (or re-creating) a clean, nukeless planet a fool who is wasting their time, is quite possibly spewing secular pap which is in direct contradiction to words I have read in the Bible.

That's all, man. Not a personal attack on religion, you, God, not even Limbaugh (this time.)
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Fair enough! :)

So, those bible passage quoted... do you see them as meaning that the sun will be darkened because of man's pollutants?
Big Blue Owl

Post by Big Blue Owl »

If you mean pollutants as in global thermo-nuclear war, then yes. It will get very warm all-of-a-sudden. This may not be exactly the correct thread, but I thought it would be close enough. It seems the same effect can be produced slowly if we have no ozone layer. Also, if the temp should rise drastically, the seas rise, the outraged underdeveloped world with nukes rise.........

Boom. And we are a black hole.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Okay... I get where you're coming from.

*man hugs*