GUN CONTROL

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Me

GUN CONTROL

Post by Me »

Our second amendment is the right to bear arms and our country in part is free due to militia, simple folks having weapons. The constitution is held in high regard close to our hearts.

The media has a dirty hand with the ills of society and we are all to blame for attaching ourselves to it .A whirlpool of crap from Saturday morning cartoons to the nightly news and beyond, we have become a nation programmed to violence.

Also big business is to blame in part and we won't see gun control unless the majority protest but... we are a divided country when it comes to that because of the 2nd amendment.

There are many reasons behind the violence in this country. The economy... have not's and haves. We don't take care of the poor like most other countrys.
Our health care system doesn't work, our education system is a run away train with the high cost and taxes are going thru the roof were people are losing the american dream, of home ownership.

We have lost what's important, each other!
We have become a money grubbing society where big cars and plasma tv's rule.

Drugs another part of our econemy.
Drugs...mere drugs.

So you see in my opinion it's not the guns so much as... the way in which we became. :(

We live together, we act on, and react to, one another; but always and in all circumstances we are by ourselves.
When evil is allowed to compete with good, evil has an emotional populist appeal that wins out unless good men & women stand as a vanguard against abuse.
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

People can say what they want about gun control, but the fact remains that:

there isn't a global gun law CONCEIVABLE that would have prevented the tragedy at VT (or anywhere else for that matter).

That's the bitter truth folks - like it or not.

You bet I have guns at my homestead..

WHY??

Simple:

Because criminals don't care, and:

In the U.S., it's better to be JUDGED BY TWELVE than CARRIED BY SIX.
Don't start none...won't be none.
Me

Post by Me »

I didn't mean to use such broad brush strokes for the whole of society as there are many, many good people all around us but... America has a problem. One example there was more than three times the murders in Philadelphia alone last year, than all of Canada. I also think the problems I mentioned in my first post, are quite true.
When evil is allowed to compete with good, evil has an emotional populist appeal that wins out unless good men & women stand as a vanguard against abuse.
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Me wrote:I didn't mean to use such broad brush strokes for the whole of society as there are many, many good people all around us but... America has a problem. One example there was more than three times the murders in Philadelphia alone last year, than all of Canada. I also think the problems I mentioned in my first post, are quite true.
We're tired and poor huddled masses of the worlds' mixed-breed mutts....

whaddya expect? LOL

just kidding Bro. Good point, but even Canada

*must-resist-but-can't- hold-back*

HELL-O CAN-A-DA! :P

has murders to deal with too....

and there's bound to be a gun involved somewhere THERE too.

or a baby Seal...or a Moose jaw.....or a lead-filled-snowshoe. :roll:
Me

Post by Me »

violence is a boomerang
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Me wrote:violence is a boomerang
unless you DUCK.
Me

Post by Me »

1999 -- US: Second Columbine Massacre. Most likely you never heard of the first one (a 1927 labor massacre, involving the IWW). And while the media claims today's to be the worst American school massacre ever, it is not (the worst also occurred in 1927).

One parent wrote,
"I may be the only parent of a Columbine High School student who isn't howling for more gun control laws.

I may also be the only Columbine parent who hasn't attended church to thank "god" that my daughter is still alive.

& with respect to the police, the events this past spring have convinced me more than ever that the cops, being inept & useless parasites ..." [Letter continues + further details]
Me

Post by Me »

Over 70 views and only Cgy reply's....what's up with that? I left huge holes to be filled in such as Drugs...Mere Drugs....Hugh problem with turf wars at any rate a more keep love and peace colse to your hearts.

Kev.
zepboy

Post by zepboy »

Sorry for not having posted, but I've been busy controlling my guns! LOL
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

I'm in the process of buying a hand gun from Marn's dad.
This space for rent
Me

Post by Me »

Ya' well that's ok, just remember....We live together, we act on, and react to, one another; but always and in all circumstances we are by ourselves.

American's are a frighten bunch so they buy more guns and others can reap deadly profits...mere rhetoric and fear mongering.

Philadelphia is past the murders of this time last year. Seven more dead over the weekend and outside of my little town a cop killed a 34 year old that had a knife....I thought that was what tazers were for?
Xanadu

Post by Xanadu »

Making guns illegal stops law abiding citizens from protecting themselves. Even if you could make every gun disappear the flipped out psychos would grab a club or knife and do the same. The problem is a gun is just an inanimate object like a knife or bow and arrow. Humans can be sick and will use anything for an act of violence...legal or not....like ummm violence is illegal too.

The media had a field day at VT, they swooped in like vultures to fatten our eyes on the carnage and report the record breaking number of deaths. WTF is wrong with fucking people! Why not wait and find out about the lives that were wiped out and tell about that? Why do they have to just show all the blood and "woa look what this psycho did he was something...what a powerful fear wielding demon OMG be scared!" What about all the families and loved ones and how that sick act affected them? What about if the faculty and studens weren't DENIED their 2nd amendment RIGHT in school? How far do you think he would have gotten then?

Xan
We're all mad here!
Me

Post by Me »

If we wasn't such a violent society we wouldn't need guns to protect ourselves. We get a heaping plate full of violence at breakfast, lunch and dinner on our local news channel 7 days a week. Then there is violence in cartoons, soaps, video games music etc. it's all around us, even our Government uses fear to control. It all has an effect on all of us especially on our youth. To suggest that students given the opportunity to carry guns "just in case" is ludicrous with most colleges being not only learning institutes but a party atmosphere too. Perhaps now I can understand a bit more fully why Zep and T don't have TV in their homes maybe we should have more Ozzy and Harriett. I truly believe that we wouldn't have so much violence if it wasn't plashed every where in our daily lives. It's not going to stop the mentally imbalanced from committing atrocities though.
There needs to be a system to ID these people and help them before the balence of their minds tilts in the wrong direction. That's another whole problem "closing of the mental hospitals in this country" and contacting out more prisons. We complain of other countrys "human rights" yet we lock up mentally inbalenced people and ignor the fact that they are that way.

Don't take me wrong that I am dissing my coutry as I AM NOT! It's just that more people need to stand up for what is right and wrong. I have a small voice not being some famous actor or musician but even the small voices can be heard if there are enough of us that yells loud enough.
Seems to me, I am mostly alone. :(
zepboy

Post by zepboy »

Kev, I think the answer lies in part within my last post in "favorite quotes".

We don't have TV in our home for the very reason you pointed out. There is way too much filth going out on the air; not just violence, but also sex, various forms of deviance, rebellion, disrespect, idiocy, and the list goes on (as infinitum, ad nauseam).

Nonetheless, we surely have our share of guns. Why? Is it because we are lunatics about to become unhinged, and we want to be prepared for our moment in the spotlight? No. We are armed because we believe in our second ammendment right to bear arms. We enjoy giving old bottles, appliances, and whatever else the good old "redneck recycle." We believe in going out and just having fun. It's like the fourth of July all year round! As far as the safety issue with kids in the home, we have removed the mystery for them. They are all well disciplined (a key factor missing in our society), and they know they had better keep theirs hands off the guns without mom or pop around. Yet, at the same time, if the ever want to shoot them, they know that all they have to do is ask. THAT, my friend, is what I consider appropriate gun control.

As far as the populace being well armed, without such a society, our forefathers would have fallen by the wayside, and we would all be enjoying noon "High tea," so to speak. The Brittish would have opened a can of whoop a** on us as they marched through our countryside in their well-formed, pretty ranks.

I agree that there should be some way of identifying the loonies in our midst, unfortunately, I'm not sure how to do that. But I do know that to take firearms out of the hands of decent law abiding people is not the way to do it. That has been proven ineffective time and time again. What we need is citizens with enough wisdom and courage to take a stand when they see the signs of evil in our midst, without the worry of being taken to court and beaten down when they speak up. I'm afraid that we have our wayward legal system to thank for so many things going sour.
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Even Switzerland, the most neutral country on the planet has a gun in every home. (Talk about an instant army.) But do they have a overwhelming gun death problem?

In Japan it is ILLEGAL to have them, period, but just like a week ago a politician there was murdered by gun in public.
Me Said:
I truly believe that we wouldn't have so much violence if it wasn't plashed every where in our daily lives. It's not going to stop the mentally imbalanced from committing atrocities though.
Yeah, I wish this too, but it hasn't been the case.

Zep Said:
As far as the safety issue with kids in the home, we have removed the mystery for them. They are all well disciplined (a key factor missing in our society), and they know they had better keep theirs hands off the guns without mom or pop around.

And it will be the same here for Shayla.
This space for rent