Rush Videos

A place to discuss the videos

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

rushlight

Rush Videos

Post by rushlight »

I know some of Rush's videos may not be the best but there were one or two I thought were good. I like Big Money because Rush is playing on top of a huge Monopoly board surrounded by the buildings. AfterImage is also a favorite but a sad topic. (Poor Neil lost a good friend) Distant Early Warning looks silly. What does a kid riding a missile have to do with Neil's words? :wink: What are your thoughts on the videos? :D
I love my Welshman.
KaelMwithascrubbrush
Location: I don't know, but there's a snake in my boot and an arrow just hit me in the butt!

Post by KaelMwithascrubbrush »

The kid riding the missile is a visual metaphor for Neil's dismay over the prolferation of nuclear weapons and weapons of mass destruction in general (see also "Manhattan Project," "Lock and Key," and "Peaceable Kingdom"). The metaphor represents an unthinking or unreflective approach to such weapons; I can't say for certain, but it seems that the image takes a lot from the end of Dr. Strangelove (or Doktor Unwirklicheliebe if you prefer the German translation).

I'd have to say my favorite Rush video has to be "Half the World." Shooting it in sepia and the barage of imagery is fabulous. My wife really likes the video for "Driven."
"I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five."
-Steven Wright
spiders_are_eating_me

Post by spiders_are_eating_me »

I never saw the video for Half the World :cry: :cry: :cry: (sword thru the heart)
You will never find true happiness. Whatcha gonna do, cry about it?
wcp

Post by wcp »

i never saw that one either, i always liked The Pass video and Time Stand Still all those flying Canadans remind me of home.
Aerosmitten

Post by Aerosmitten »

spiders_are_eating_me wrote:I never saw the video for Half the World :cry: :cry: :cry: (sword thru the heart)
Aww...poor lad..I never seened it either :cry:

*Stalking Splated*
Aerosmitten

Post by Aerosmitten »

wcp wrote:i never saw that one either,
Aww...Poor brother dear! :cry:

*Stalking me hoser brother*
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

wcp wrote:i never saw that one either, i always liked The Pass video and Time Stand Still all those flying Canadans remind me of home.
Craig, why do you need to be reminded of hame when you are there?
Onward and Upward!
KaelMwithascrubbrush
Location: I don't know, but there's a snake in my boot and an arrow just hit me in the butt!

Ayeeeee, "The Pass" That's another good one. "Lock and Key" ain't too bad either. Ahhh and we all have to watch ooot for those flying Canuks :!: They're like everywhere, eh?
"I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five."
-Steven Wright
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

If you think the flying Cauks are bad in the video, you should move up here. We have to deal wif them walking and flying and driving too! Ay-yi-yi! :roll:
Onward and Upward!
wcp

Post by wcp »

we can fly because our hats are shaped just right.
KaelMwithascrubbrush

^^^
hahahaha
-Steven Wright
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

It isn't that hat that is shaped funny, dear.
Onward and Upward!
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Sadly i've only seen the videos on the Chronicles dvd, and most of them were laughable. Afterimage isnt bad though. I wish i could get ahold of their other videos though.
rushlight

Post by rushlight »

The only other videos are the ones from through The Camera Eye. And that tape isn't around anymore. :cry: You would probably get lucky if you find them on ebay. :wink:
I love my Welshman.
Zivo
Location: "A place not too far from here, as a matter of fact

Alex as a teen in Canadian Documentary

Post by Zivo »

Does anyone have any idea where one could find the 1968/69 documentary with Alex by independant film maker Alan King? (not the comedian). It is called "Come On Children" and it has the now-familiar reality aspect with loads of teens put together in a farmhouse. They somehow eventually revisit or recount with them, to find that Alex is "Now the guitar player for the popular musical act, Rush", as the narrator narrates. I have seen a clip with Alex playing guitar and some maniac dancing around and singing. It looked very interesting, and of course there is Alex, literally playing his earliest music...wait a minute...why don't we ALL have a copy of this?
Anyway, if anyone has any info on it, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks!