England Stirs...

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

zorro

Post by zorro »

I personally think Engerland should fight for her independence forthwith. You won't hear any argument from me. And she can have all her retired blood-suckers who live in God's Country back in a flash too. I have my sights set on a couple of their prime location second homes.
Nunavuter

Post by Nunavuter »

The Brits on this site could comment on these divisions, but here goes.

Regional assemblies in England:

Wessex Assembly: Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, Dorset, Wiltshire and Gloucestershire. The assembly might meet in Bath.

Northwest Assembly: Cumbria, Cheshire, Mersey, Greater Manchester and Lancashire. Likely the seat would be Manchester. Could be called Merseyside or some similar geographical name.

Northumbria: Durham, East Riding, North Yorkshire, Northumberland, South Yorkshire, Teeside, Tyne and Wear and West Yorkshire. Seat would be York.

Midlands Assembly: Derbyshire, Herefordshire, Leicestershire, Northamptonshire, Nottinghamshire, Shropshire, Staffordshire, Warwickshire, West Midlands and Worcestershire. Seat could be Worcester or perhaps Leicester.

East Anglia Assembly: Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Cambridgeshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Lincolnshire, Norfolk, Oxfordshire and Suffolk. Seat could be Oxford or Cambridge.

This would leave London and six counties in the south east as the final assembly.
Nowhere Toronto, nowhere to hide

zorro

Post by zorro »

You mean the English can comment. Personally I don't care how they divide themselves, as long as they get tae f**k out of my Country!
Nunavuter

Post by Nunavuter »

Such anger.

The English don't have three arms and eat babies.

zorro

Post by zorro »

You know this for a fact?
Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate »

Nunavuter wrote:Regional assemblies in England:

Wessex Assembly: Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, Dorset, Wiltshire and Gloucestershire. The assembly might meet in Bath.
I think Bristol or Exeter would be more appropriate than Bath.

However, most of these counties really belong in Wales. The English can keep Gloucestershire and Wiltshire, as long as they waive the extortionate fee for visitors to Stonehenge.
Northwest Assembly: Cumbria, Cheshire, Mersey, Greater Manchester and Lancashire. Likely the seat would be Manchester. Could be called Merseyside or some similar geographical name.
"Merseyside" is taken.
Midlands Assembly: Derbyshire, Herefordshire, Leicestershire, Northamptonshire, Nottinghamshire, Shropshire, Staffordshire, Warwickshire, West Midlands and Worcestershire. Seat could be Worcester or perhaps Leicester.

East Anglia Assembly: Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Cambridgeshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Lincolnshire, Norfolk, Oxfordshire and Suffolk. Seat could be Oxford or Cambridge.
I'd call these West Midlands and East Midlands. East Anglia is Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex and I think Cambridgeshire.
This would leave London and six counties in the south east as the final assembly.
The English don't have three arms and eat babies.
Not all of them. :evil:
Nunavuter

Post by Nunavuter »

Devil's Advocate wrote:
Nunavuter wrote:Regional assemblies in England:

I think Bristol or Exeter would be more appropriate than Bath.
When I suggested over on CP that Gloucestershire and Wiltshire be attached to Wales, they screamed bloody murder. The Welsh March used to include them.

As for East Anglia, I have the counties roughly correct except I also included Lincolnshire because it is the only East Midland county on the coast. Oxfordshire and Buckingham shire were also included just to keep the geographical lines more orderly.

Nothing like having to contend with centuries of history and local attachments.

It's sometimes difficult for someone in North America to grasp how people 200 miles apart could feel so alienated from each other. The entire UK would fit inside the province of Ontario three times.

Me

Post by Me »

It's sometimes difficult for someone in North America to grasp how people 200 miles apart could feel so alienated from each other. The entire UK would fit inside the province of Ontario three times.[/
I wonder what the Amish are doing today just a few miles from me or how the poverty stricken riding the governmement's back in every
town and city in american are doing but then again that's their choice!

Do relize whether it is visable or not; Europe and North America are already in the same bed when it comes to the military and pretty soon they are going to have babies.

In my opinon all this political wrangling is more about economics than trying to bring people together towards being kind and working for one anothers well being. Sometimes I wonder if politicians minds fit in that
picture frame.

Sorry, sometimes I slide off topic.
When evil is allowed to compete with good, evil has an emotional populist appeal that wins out unless good men & women stand as a vanguard against abuse.
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

Sometimes if people are angry you have to listen to them. It speaks volumes, often more than what's on the "surface" and acknowledging that will often have better consequences as it can let steam out of the argument.

Freeze this moment a little bit longer...
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Nunavuter wrote:
It's sometimes difficult for someone in North America to grasp how people 200 miles apart could feel so alienated from each other. The entire UK would fit inside the province of Ontario three times.
Perhaps it is for those who live in the big cities, but I think you would find that as you move out of the cities and suburbs and into the rural areas, we understand that quite well.

On the peninsula where I live, we have a number of distinct groups, many of which do not see themselves as accurately being represented because of how the government divides us up. In addition to that, a large faction on the peninsula see the folks living on the other side of Hood Canal from us much as people in Oregon see people from California, best exemplified by the bumper sticker which reads, "Welcome to Oregon, now go home."

I found this to be true living in the mountains north of Los Angeles also.
Onward and Upward!
zorro

Post by zorro »

Ask Schu. People in Grangemouth hate people in Bo'ness. That's 4 miles away. lol For that matter, people in Bowhouse hate people in Charly'D. That's 400yards.
schuette

Post by schuette »

okai.......I haven't read all what has been said since I last logged on cuz one question is in my head.......
zorro.......how do you know that Charlotte Dundas gets called Charly D.......and how do you know about the Bowhouse (where I live)......and the fact it's so near to charly d...?
zorro

Post by zorro »

schuette wrote:okai.......I haven't read all what has been said since I last logged on cuz one question is in my head.......
zorro.......how do you know that Charlotte Dundas gets called Charly D.......and how do you know about the Bowhouse (where I live)......and the fact it's so near to charly d...?
That's just the way Scotland is, wherever you go. Always fighting each other. I know where Grangemouth is, it wasn't a stretch.

*EDiT* - Besides, if I was really sinister I would have sia Bowhoose, wouldn't I.
schuette

Post by schuette »

you may know where Grangemouth is but to know that the 'Bowhoose' and Charly D is so close..?

anyway I'm not originally from Grangemouth......I moved here in '89.......I dont give a toss about people from Bowhouse or Charly D
schuette

Post by schuette »

zorro wrote:Ask Schu. People in Grangemouth hate people in Bo'ness. That's 4 miles away. lol For that matter, people in Bowhouse hate people in Charly'D. That's 400yards.
I cant speak for Grangemouth but growing up in Denny we (not me personally) hated the Bonnybridge crew and especially the Banknock lot...which is just a couple of miles from Denny