England Stirs...

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I bet I could come up with more negative labels to apply to myself than you just did to yourself, Elfie!
Onward and Upward!
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Go for it!
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
schuette

Re: England Stirs...

Post by schuette »

It was 1967, and England were playing Scotland. Before such matches, supporters of both sides had traditionally sung God Save The Queen. This time, however, to the amazement and embarrassment of the organisers, when English supporters started singing the National Anthem, many Scots booed.
I think Billy Connolly might have helped in this...I am never gonna stand for an anthem (which is meant to be Scottish as well) which has the lyrics
And like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush
It was a Scot, James Thomson, who wrote Rule Brittannia in 1740.
it was also a Scot that betrayed Scotland..James the VI of Scotland..also James the I.......if you want me to elaborate on this I will..
Today, Scotland's population numbers are sustained only by the influx of English retirement families. Glasgow languishes. The English subsidy of Scotland ? to the tune of about ?1,000 a year apiece ? only feeds Scots' self-pity.
what the fuck!.......this guy is clearly dillusional......I dont know where he gets his facts from but I would sure like to know
They embraced Mel Gibson's idiotic movie Braveheart, which persuaded many younger Scots that they could rebuild a culture out of hating the English.
most of us dont hate the English people...we hate getting ruled by an English government
A 1996 survey found that 64 per cent of Scots and 41 per cent of Welsh people thought of themselves as Scottish and Welsh rather than British; yet only 25 per cent of the English felt explicitly English.
sorry to the 'British' here but I am Scottish.......not British
Here in England, I think we shall hear much more of this country's name. As Jeremy Paxman suggested, we are rediscovering an English identity, largely forced upon by us by the behaviour of our Scottish neighbours.
is that a bad thing that you have your own identity?
Scots, in particular, recognised that sharing Britain's worldwide dominion gave them a stake in something much bigger than they could ever have aspired to on their own.
bull fucking shit!...the English government shut down most of our industries.....mining, shipbuilding, our oil industry....okai the oil industry wasnt shut down but the Scots dont benefit from it......we could have managed quite easily without the English
In truth, it has not been the fault of the English that Wales and Scotland have suffered so much.
not the individual English civillain but certainly because of the government we have suffered
Last edited by schuette on Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Go, Schu, go!
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

If I was Scottish, I would be pissed at the whole bullshit column too!!! :twisted:
Happy 2015!
schuette

Post by schuette »

I can quite easily say that it was an English person who wrote that :lol:
Nunavuter

Post by Nunavuter »

It is amazing how these sorts of resentments keep rearing up.

Over on Counterparts, I created a thread to discuss the creation of a federal parliament in the UK. I was surprised at the level of anger that was expressed concerning the position of the Scottish, Welsh and NI assemblies and the absense of a similar body for England.

It does strike me as unbalanced that Scottish MPs etc. can vote in Westminster on matters exclusively dealing with England, but the opposite is not permitted.

My proposed solution was to designate Westminster a federal parliament, and create a smaller assembly that would deal exclusively with England. (It would meet in oxford or wherever).

Yes, it is another layer of government. But in the end the current system fails to address local autonomy in England itself.

An even more radical proposal would be to break England into smaller regional units with divolved parliaments. For example the six counties of the Southwest would have a local authority, as would Yorkshire, the northwest, and the Midlands. In all, the UK would become a federation of perhaps eight 'provinces.' The old Heptarchy could be a rough guide to these divisions.

The local assemblies would have limited powers, but could address local concerns such as education, roads, public welfare etc. The Westminster parliament would deal with truly national (and international) matters, establishing the budget etc.

It isn't a perfect solution, but often local concerns of outlying areas do not hold the attention of London. Having a local authority that deals exclusively with such matters would be of benefit.
Nowhere Toronto, nowhere to hide

Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate »

When the Scottish Parliament and the Welsh Assembly were created a few years ago, the idea was to create several "regional assemblies" in England.

But when the first one was put to a referendum, the voters overwhelmingly said "no."
Nunavuter

Post by Nunavuter »

So the notion has been proposed in a serious fashion.

What were the main objections?

ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Are we talking about a proposal giving England something similar to the "states' rights" being seperate from the "federal rights" in the U.S.?
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

I guess I always thought of Scotland as a seperate country and Wales a part of England.
Happy 2015!
Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate »

Nunavuter wrote:So the notion has been proposed in a serious fashion.

What were the main objections?
Not sure. I think it was mainly just the extra beaurocracy.
Nunavuter

Post by Nunavuter »

ElfDude wrote:Are we talking about a proposal giving England something similar to the "states' rights" being seperate from the "federal rights" in the U.S.?
Something along those lines, although it isn't as extensive.

Currently, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have "home rule" devolved parliaments/assemblies (devolved meaning that certain powers have been delegated from the Westminster Parliament to these local assemblies.)

England does not have its own parliament, but is governed instead directly by the national parliament -- which also contains members from the three other countries of the UK.

This situation raises the West Lothian Question.

One stop-gap measure would be to recuse non-English MPs from voting on matters strictly dealing with England. But I could see this being unworkable in the case of confidence votes and when cabinet ministers are from outside England. It's a pickle.

ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

As a principle, it sounds good. A governor and/or representative of a province/state/whatever, tends to know what that area needs or doesn't need better than someone who may have never even been there.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

We seem to have the most trouble with where to draw the lines for local government jurisdiction. For example, the county I live in is so speadout and it has such a varitey of issues that might be better handled by breaking it into smaller counties. Then again, how small do we want a county and how many would really be best?

We really can't break up our area by nationality that well.
Onward and Upward!