Blackfield (Steve Wilson)

Music outside of Rush

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Ogg

Blackfield (Steve Wilson)

Post by Ogg »

Continuing with my Porcupine Tree phase and my quest for knowledge concerning any Steve Wilson material I came across 'Blackfield'. It is utterly brilliant, uplifting and of course one to buy (after downloading).
Here's the official blurb:

"Two years back and forth on the London-Tel-Aviv flight path, a mutual artistic curiosity, and a close friendship are the components that gave birth to Aviv and Steven's Blackfield project.

Aviv Geffen, a highly successful solo artist and outspoken (not to mention controversial) peace campaigner, with a string of gold albums in his own country, discovered the music of Steven's band Porcupine Tree in the mid 90's and followed their career development. In 2000 he invited the band to perform some concerts in Israel and met with Steven in London to discuss the idea. Something clicked and before long they had already collaborated on the very first Blackfield song. In 2001 the two met in a studio in Tel Aviv with the intention of recording a one-off EP. So pleased were they and the record company with the results however, that the EP originally scheduled for release in 2001 was cancelled and the decision was made to continue writing and recording with the aim of completing a full length LP. Over the next 18 months the pair fitted in Blackfield writing and recording sessions whenever they could between their other commitments and finally in October 2003 the album was complete.

The collaborative songs alongside songs written by each separately brought a unique meeting of cultures, which resulted in a sophisticated, melodic and melancholic rock album.

The 10 track album was first issued by Helicon/Universal in Israel in February 2004 and spawned two huge hit singles in "Hello" and "Pain". The success of the album meant that the next step to making Blackfield a live band could be taken, and in February a 5 piece band version of Blackfield made their debut by performing on several prime time Israeli TV shows.

In the meantime an international release for the album was arranged through Snapper Music in the UK, and the album was issued in August to phenomenal reviews in Europe and America, many hailing it as a masterpiece and an instant classic. Aviv and Steven undertook a major promotional campaign and the live band played two special concerts to launch the album, one each in their two home towns of Tel Aviv and London. The Blackfield album looks set to be one of the most important releases of 2004."

The good thing is the second album is almost done.
rushlight

Post by rushlight »

I am collecting photos of him a lot more than music. I think he plays for a few other bands too, not sure.:-?
I love my Welshman.
Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate »

Yeah, he has a stack of side-projects.

Blackfield was a one-off collaboration with Aviv Geffen
Then there's Bass Communion
And IEM
And Porcupine Tree.

(Yes, PT is a side-project. The original band was No-man.)
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

You are correct DA. I'm aware of 'No-man' of course but have yet to hear anything. I've just d'ld 'Bass Communion' and have yet to give it a quick spin and I have an IEM album on the way as I type.
The 'Blackfield' album is so good (I've been playing it all week) but I have to correct you in regards to BF being a one off mate, having read that the second album is almost completed and will be released late '06.
When I get into a band I really get into them and no band has had an effect on me like PT for a long long time :-) . I was lucky that I found a PT discography to begin with, then I d'ld lossless 'flac' versions of my fav albums (much larger file size-longer to d'ld) and finally I forked out some readies and intend to buy them all.
I have already bought 'Signify' 'In Abesntia' 'Deadwing' and 'TSkyMS' , I have ordered 'Blackfield' and the dvd-audio versions of IA and DW until I find some more damn money :-D .
I have two amazing XM radio sessions, the rare 'Recordings' and various limited thingies (again from the net) including a cool 90's BBC sessions disc. I have an excellent TV broadcast concert dvd from Nov last year and a dvd audio rip of the same concert (that I made myself) is one of my most listened to. Gavin Harrison is up there with Mr Peart imho.
Add to this hours of googling for info and a quest to purchase a PT t-shirt (I cant find any in stock!) you could say I like them a little :-) .
schuette

Post by schuette »

cheers Ogg......love the songs you sent me :-D

would like them even better if you got rid of your damn siggy ;)
H3WMW

Post by H3WMW »

Porcupine Tree are a fantastic band.

I fell in love with their last two albums "Deadwing" and "In Absentia".

The stand out tracks for me are :

Blackest Eyes
The Sound Of Muzak
Shallow
Lazarus
Arriving Somewhere But Not Here

I can't wait for the new DVD "Arriving Somewhere...." to be released.

Have you seen the video concert from the Rockpalast yet? It's brilliant.
Bassist of Joe's Band

schuette

Post by schuette »

you should have posted that in The Porcupine Tree thread :razz:
H3WMW

Post by H3WMW »

schuette wrote:you should have posted that in The Porcupine Tree thread :razz:
Oops, Sorry Schu. Didn't see one but I will search for it.
Bassist of Joe's Band

Ogg

Post by Ogg »

schuette wrote:cheers Ogg......love the songs you sent me :-D

Sig's gone because youre showing us lads a little bit of your chest :-D .
rushlight

Post by rushlight »

Put something with Steve Wilson and the other guys! :razz:
I love my Welshman.
schuette

Post by schuette »

Ogg wrote:
schuette wrote:cheers Ogg......love the songs you sent me :-D

Sig's gone because youre showing us lads a little bit of your chest :-D .
aww thanx babe....enjoy cuz it wont last long :lol:
Last edited by schuette on Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rushfanfla

Post by rushfanfla »

New Blackfield release coming in Jan. 07 plus tour :-D

http://www.blackfield.org/?s=news

Will be touring US but no specific dates yet.
PV
Site Admin

Post by PV »

Yay! Good news, RFF! :-D

You are now the Good News Guy around here. :cool:
I don't have faith in faith, I don't believe in belief, You can call me faithless, I still cling to hope, And I believe in love, And that's faith enough for me... Neil Peart
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I think you are a wee bit biased, Sis! *razz*

*stalking RFF*
Onward and Upward!
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

Yay! cant wait for the second album.
I recently received two cool Blackfield bootlegs, one from a Dutch show in '04 and another beauty from New york '05. Lovely :).