London Explosions

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

How many? I don't know, that is what was reported here in the US, and I also spoke to someone just outside of London who said there were many proud of the policeman, but this was before it was known the man shot was not a terrorist.

It does make one wonder, however, why the innocent man ran. Why did he give the police reason to think that he really was a terrorist. Innocent people do not tend to act as if they are guilty.

Wanna know what I think is really funny though? There is someone who is upset that the terrorists are not being more culturally sensitive. They are angry that the terrorists are not recruiting people who are white or yellow and people who are not Muslim. Now there is a wacko bunch!
Onward and Upward!
rushlight

Post by rushlight »

That's not right. Shoot to kill. An man they thought was a villain, cornered like an animal, and they kill him instead of bringing him in for questioning and the police can only apologize to the victim's family. There is something wrong in how they are handling the situation. These people struck again in Egypt!
I love my Welshman.
Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate »

awip2062 wrote:How many? I don't know, that is what was reported here in the US, and I also spoke to someone just outside of London who said there were many proud of the policeman, but this was before it was known the man shot was not a terrorist.
But even then, it was already widely known that the man half-tripped and was half-pushed to the ground, and was then shot.
It does make one wonder, however, why the innocent man ran. Why did he give the police reason to think that he really was a terrorist. Innocent people do not tend to act as if they are guilty.
Who knows? We'll probably never find out, since the guy a little bit too dead to be giving interviews.

Perhaps he saw a bunch of guys, not in police or any other uniform, running his way with guns drawn. What would you do in that situation?

Maybe he, like the bystanders, recognised that the men were plain-clothes policemen, but didn't realise they were armed - and if he had any skeletons in his closet (if he was an illegal immigrant, for instance, or had a habit of petty shop-lifting), he might've panicked and run.

But whatever the reason, since when was it a capital offence to run from the police? For that matter, when was capital punishment re-introduced in this country? And when did the police take over the role of judge, jury and executioners?
Wanna know what I think is really funny though? There is someone who is upset that the terrorists are not being more culturally sensitive. They are angry that the terrorists are not recruiting people who are white or yellow and people who are not Muslim. Now there is a wacko bunch!
No idea what you're talking about. Sorry.
Devil's Advocate

BBC Radio news reported in the last hour that the Brazilian man had an out of date visa. Maybe that's why he ran from police.

But is it a capital offence?
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

Maybe the guy was acting in a threatning manner. Police don't have the luxury of rehashing events 10 and 20 times after they happened. They have a split second to make a decision and if they are being threatened they have to defend themselves. Not to mention that the city of London is still reeling from a traumatic event, and I am sure the people who are charged with you and I's security their nerves are stretched razor thin. It is always refreshing to see the media trash a police officer who's only concern is to protect those same people that are trashing him/her. Do you really think for a minute that the police department that is charged with protecting us is going around targeting innocent people. If a police officer tells me to stop, I am gonna go out of my way to show him I am not a threat to him. ie put my hands in the air. Did this guy do that? Also, correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't this guy wearing a trench coat. I thought it was hot in London these days. I am so sick and tired of people trashing those who are risking their lifes to protect us from harm, and that includes the media because we all know they are so truthful in the way they report things. :roll: Sorry if I have offended anyone... ****soup steps of his soapbox***
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I was raised around cops. I have known good ones and bad ones. I have spoken with them about what goes on in their daily work. I have known men who have been injured in the line of duty. I have been at the funeral of men who died in the line of duty. Most of us don't understand what it takes to be a police officer. They do not have the luxury the rest of us do to verify facts before they act. I really don't think that the officer would have shot the man if he had not acted in a way that made him look guilty. As far as the man being on the ground when shot, the officer had no idea what the man had in his coat, in his pockets, et cetera, and may have fired fearing that the man who ran from him, wearing a heavy coat on a hot day might push a button he had and detonate another bomb.
Onward and Upward!
Devil's Advocate

Perhaps you guys should look up the actual sequence of events.

To my understanding, it went like this:

Police were watching a house where they believed suspects were, or possibly where they thought (one of) the actual terrorists had lived.

A man came out of the building. (I do not know if we're talking about detached houses here or a block of flats, but I suspect the latter.) On that basis, the police decided he was their suspect.

Did they arrest him then and there? No.

He got on a bus. If he had been a terrorist, the police should have stopped him already, since one of the explosions was on a bus, as was one of the failed attempts last week.

Presently, he got off the bus, without having blown it up.

Then he went into the tube station - and the rest you know.

This is not consistent with the split-second decision making you're both inferring.

Latest news is that his family are disputing the report that his visa had expired. Also, the autopsy has revealed that he wasn't shot 5 times as early media reports said.

It was eight. Seven in the head, one in the shoulder.
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

and if they would have stopped him prior to him acting suspicious, the ACLU (or whatever the UK calls it) would have been all over the London Police department for profiling. Its a double edged sword my friend. Nice that you and I can judge the events 2 or 3 days after it happened even when we were not there. I have a question for you though. If a cop stops you with a loaded gun, what would you do?
rushlight

Post by rushlight »

*blows whistle* That's enough! T and Soupy, D.A. is just angry about what has happened.

Little Devil, remember what happened to me? May I remind you of the teenager that was shot in front of my home? Police were staking out her home because they were after her dad, a drug trafficker. They see a car, no headlights, pull out of the driveway. Two people are inside and one is a man. They start after them. And when they cut off the driver, from what police reports said, the cops tried to get her to stop but shot at her when they claimed the car was going to run the cop down. There was no way they could get these people to surrender peacefully. They arrest the suspect and she's lying there in a pool of blood. Then after she's in the hospital in a coma, they realize the mistake. And these guys were also plain dressed.
I love my Welshman.
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

its cool Rushlight... We are just having a healthy debate. We may not see eye to eye on things but there is nothing wrong with that. Life would be boring if we all had the same opinion. :-D
rushlight

Post by rushlight »

Aww thanks. I just don't want things to get out of hand and By-tor would have to pull this topic out. The evil doesn't stop at London. They killed innocents in Egypt and who knows where else they want to pick on? Anybody who has witnessed something so horrible would be on edge.
I love my Welshman.
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

I can't be mad at anybody cause he does not share my opinion. Now what fun would that be.. :-D :-D I think By-tor is cool as long as we are not assaulting each other. By-tor can sling it with the best of em... That is the best thing about this board. You can actually have an opinion and you can debate things such as this. That is why this is the best Rush board there is. :-D :-D
Devil's Advocate

Soup4Rush wrote:and if they would have stopped him prior to him acting suspicious, the ACLU (or whatever the UK calls it) would have been all over the London Police department for profiling. Its a double edged sword my friend.
Whatever they did, they could - and should - have done it before he got on the bus. If he was really a suspected suicide bomber.
Nice that you and I can judge the events 2 or 3 days after it happened even when we were not there.
Indeed. The police had the time it took him to walk to the bus-stop, plus the duration of the bus journey, plus the time it took him to walk from the bus to the tube station.
I have a question for you though. If a cop stops you with a loaded gun, what would you do?
If anyone pointed a loaded gun at me, I wouldn't be surprised if the "fight-or-flight" instinct took over.
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

GAH!!!! I thought this pissing match was over. All of you..............go to your rooms damn it!!! :razz: :-D
This space for rent
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

[/quote]If anyone pointed a loaded gun at me, I wouldn't be surprised if the "fight-or-flight" instinct took over.[/quote]

Than you probably would be shot dead and your family would be suing the police department. :roll: