possible phpBB bug

Found an error on By-Tor.com? Post it here.

Moderator: by-tor

Devil's Advocate

possible phpBB bug

Post by Devil's Advocate »

I still have the board's old url in my bookmarks, so I have to come here via the menu in the 404 error page.

The strange thing is, if I click the link in the menu twice (ie, click it a second time before the board's main page loads), the board then shows all posts as read, and the time of my "last visit" as being the same as the "current" time.
by-tor

Post by by-tor »

The second time you click the link, you're overwriting the cookie, which is giving you a difference in microseconds of last visit, so it's marking all forums as read. Probably shouldn't work that way...ie, not allow the cookie to be overwritten if last visit and current visit is less than like 10 seconds apart. Try changing your bookmark to this url...

http://www.by-tor.com/temp_forums/index.php
Don't tell me about rock and roll I'm out there in the clubs and on the streets and I'm living it! I am rock and roll!
Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate »

by-tor wrote:The second time you click the link, you're overwriting the cookie, which is giving you a difference in microseconds of last visit, so it's marking all forums as read. Probably shouldn't work that way...ie, not allow the cookie to be overwritten if last visit and current visit is less than like 10 seconds apart.
Yeah. The odd thing is, though, that if I visit, go away, and come back again (without shutting down the browser in between), the "last visit" time still says what it did on the first visit. And threads that were marked as unread on the first visit, and which I didn't read, are still shown as unread.

The "last visit" time being updated, and threads being marked as read (whether I've read them or not), only occur if I restart the browser (which is fine), or I click the link twice (which isn't).
Try changing your bookmark to this url...

http://www.by-tor.com/temp_forums/index.php
I've been holding on to the hope that the old URL might make a come-back :P
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

It will make a comeback when it is a cold day in hell.

Hey! Wait! The centre of hell is frozen, so it IS a cold day there.

Well, guess you are outta luck.
Onward and Upward!