Primaries and Caucuses

Open discussion about the world we live in today. Topics in here can get heated, but please keep it civil.

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

I don't like Duff beer that's why. :P
This space for rent
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Walkinghairball wrote:I don't like Duff beer that's why. :P
I meant, you don't go to Moe's if you want free 'za. His superbowl buffet is made up of a loaf of bread and a pack of balogna.
Barney was happy about it though.

"Moe's Tavern, home of the worlds smallest big-screen TV!"
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Could be spam burgers..................mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm spamburgers!!!
This space for rent
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

SPAM! Now I want Spam!

I got my ballot for the primary today.
Onward and Upward!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Okay, I opened my ballot for the primary because I was curious what was inside and I read this:
Special Instructions for this Election:
1. If you want to vote for a democratic candidate, select and sign the democratic party oath on the green return ballot envelope. If you want to vote4 for a republican candidate, select and sign the republican party oath on the green return envelope."
So I pick up the green return envelope and look at it. It reads:
YOU MUST MARK A PARTY CHECKBOX IN ORDER FOR YOUR PRESIDENTIAL PRIMARY VOTE TO COUNT. YOU MAY ONLY SELECT ONE PARTY.
Then, under the words, "Democratic Party Oath" it says:
I declare that I consider myself to be a DEMOCRAT and I will not participate in the nomination process of any other political party for the 2008 Presidential election.
Okay, well, I do not consider myself to be a dem.

Under the words, "Republican Party Oath" it says:
I declare that I am a member of the Republican Party and I have not participated and will not participate in the 2008 precinct caucus or convention system of any other party.
Ummm...I am not a member of ANY party. *sigh*

Now, I know the laws of my state say that I am free to choose to vote for a dem or a repub, even though I am an independent voter, but these oaths make me choose to join a party! I am being forced to lie, basically, in order to vote.

I smell a letter-to-the-editor brewing in my coffee pot!

:x
Onward and Upward!
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Actually, after looking at the state voters' information page, I think I am going to write my congressmen. Here is what I found proving that I don't have to be a member of any party, and showing that the oath printed on the envelope is not what is required by law.
In Washington state, voters are not asked to declare a political party affiliation or preference when they register to vote. That said, voters who choose to vote for partisan offices in any primary election (presidential or statewide) may vote for the candidates of only one party (if they want any of their partisan votes to count on that ballot), and they may be required to sign an oath provided by the political parties affirming that they have not taken part in a competing party's caucus. The names of those voters who support a given party in a primary will be forwarded to that state party organization. In similar fashion, the names of voters participating in a party's caucus will be the property of the party sponsoring the caucus.
Onward and Upward!
Mr. Potatoe Head

Post by Mr. Potatoe Head »

Boy that's wishy-washy AWIP

I must say I like Hairy's ... Electile Dysfunction : The inability to become aroused over any of the choices for president put forth by either party in the 2008 election year. I am afflicted with that and more jaded this year than most years past, even though I never voted. We still have an undertow of racism in the country be as it is getting better with each generation, then we have the woman's right story were some people are still sore over all that hogwash. It kind of looks like it was almost meant to be so the republican party will no no doubt come on top with Mccain as our next president. Then of course what's said in Jan of 2008 will mean nothing in Jan of 2009. Nevertheless you all keep voting because to me the only reason to do so, is so we don't become a dictatorship. UGH!!! A dic-tator-ship Ha! ha! ha! I really don't mean to be negative all the time sorry
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

A dic-tator-ship! LOL Good one! :-D
Onward and Upward!
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

That's just plain weird t....

Here, you just register with the county as being eligible to vote...

No party affiliation necessary....go in, show a ID, they check for your name on a list of registered voters, you take a booth and VOTE.

But then again, I'm not PARTY-registered.

Independent here. :-D
Don't start none...won't be none.
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Anybody see the dirt they dug up on 'Hill'?

Apparently, she was on the WalMart BOARD OF DIRECTORS for six years.

(I did-not-know-that....) hmmmm...

There's a video out that shows her sitting idly and silent while
the board agreed to CRUSH the union that was trying to
represent WalMart employees.

(And you thought the Clintons are all about THE WORKING STIFFS.) :wink:

Lesson Learned:

HILLARY IS NOT LOOKING OUT FOR YOU.
Mr. Potatoe Head

Post by Mr. Potatoe Head »

Ha! ha! ha! They are all about money right beside most americans (that's why the votes go the way they do) that was actually funny Cyg. At any rate that's what impressed me about Edwards he was tired of big bussiness not paying their share and controling everything. I am quite surprized at how the american people swung in that respect ... well, again not really. Give me wall-street, my check, gas and wally-world and I'm happy Ha! ha! ha! Ya' I am cynical bawahahaheeheehoho
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

ElfDude wrote:
CygnusX1 wrote: McCain looks to be the only one with ANY form of leadership ability
since Rudy punted last night....
I'll vote for Hillary before I'll vote for Juan McCain.
I see that Ann agress with me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuTqgqhxVMc
Now if she'd just stop snubbing my marriage proposals...
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 »

Mr. Potatoe Head wrote:Ha! ha! ha! They are all about money right beside most americans (that's why the votes go the way they do) that was actually funny Cyg. At any rate that's what impressed me about Edwards he was tired of big bussiness not paying their share and controling everything. I am quite surprized at how the american people swung in that respect ... well, again not really. Give me wall-street, my check, gas and wally-world and I'm happy Ha! ha! ha! Ya' I am cynical bawahahaheeheehoho
That's all well and good Spuds, but don't be like people that migrated HERE from wherever-the-hell-it-is-that-they-came-from...

The kind of people that want to live in the country, but want a WalMart they can WALK to...

IMHO, you can't have it both ways. I happen to like wallyworld...

But I DO NOT want shopping center lights 10 miles from the city, obscuring MY night sky.

It's called "light pollution", and it's rampant.

Any politicians addressing THAT? ummmm...nope.

Google "Dark Sky Initiative" and you'll see what this is all aboooot.

Hel-LOWWWWW Can-a-Duh :P
Walkinghairball

I don't remember where I stole the Electile Dysfunction thinger, but it sure made me laugh at the time.
This space for rent
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I laugh every time I read it! Thanks for brightening my day again and again!
Onward and Upward!