Hemispheres....The "Daddy"

A place to discuss the studio albums

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Fridge

Hemispheres....The "Daddy"

Post by Fridge »

What can I say?

This album (IMO :wink: ) is their Magnum Opus, a work of sheer splendour.

I cannot heap enough superlatives on this recording, but make no mistake, it is very special indeed...

The utter majesty of all three members' playing, coupled with Geddys best ever vocal performance combine to create a panoramic, almost opera-like symphony of sound...

Even the lyrics, which are NOT about mythical Greek gods, but an allegorical treatise on the need for a balance between the rational and emotional are top notch...

Side 2 (as an old sod like me still insists on calling it) is almost as good, with the incredible La Villa.. a worthy second to the title track.

Without parallel, I believe that this is the best album by ANY band, not just Rush
Ach, if Dougie was here he'd tell you himself....
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

how can one speak of hemispehres without the trees? Easily geddy's smoothest bassline , very melodious and grand. it is greater than the basslines from hemispheres because of the way it flows when played.
Fridge

Post by Fridge »

Sir Myghin wrote:how can one speak of hemispehres without the trees? Easily geddy's smoothest bassline , very melodious and grand. it is greater than the basslines from hemispheres because of the way it flows when played.
The Trees, although a very fine bassline is definitely overshadowed IMO by "Prelude". It is almost like a second guitar in the way that it interweaves in a lattice -like pattern with Lifesons riffing. Also, his lines in Apollo/Dionysus are just divine...
Ach, if Dougie was here he'd tell you himself....
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

aah, i found, although the bass lines are very fun, they were not as full as the lines from the trees. it also seems bouncier, despite its realatively legato. While the lines from prelude and various other recurring themes during hemipsheres, do not hold the same energy as par the trees
Slaine mac Roth

Post by Slaine mac Roth »

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with you here Fridge (didn't see that coming, did you? :lol: )

First of all I will say that I admire Hemispheres tremendously. I will agree that it is a very good album and worthy of a place of honour in anyone's collection.

However, to call it their best work I think is a trifle escessive (that honour can only be given to Moving Pictures in my opinion.)

What is wrong with Hemispheres?

Difficult to say. Once again, I think the production lets them down a little. Without being a poor job, it seems a little flat to my ears and doesn't posess the crispness of their best works. I think the problems they had getting the sound together shows and an easier mixing for the album would have lifted it higher.

Like many conceptual pieces, I find it slips a little too far on the side of pomposity. While, in moderation, this isn't necessarily a bad thing, I think Hemispheres goes a little too far.

However, my main criticism is a purely subjective one. I can't say why exactly, but the album doesn't seem to flow in the way that MP or 2112 does. For all that the tracks lead directly into each other, the joins are not seamless and do seem a trifle forced - almost as if they were trying too hard. A number of my friends, also Rush fans, have commented similarly in the past.

That said, side two is a work of genius. Both Circumstances and The Trees are excellent rock songs and La Villa Strangiato is pure virtuosity.

All in all, great stuff but could have been better.
'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?'
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

I'll stand by fridge ( this may not happen too often so lets hold our breathe :lol: ) because i think this is muchb etter than moving pictures. I find its all the same antics on moving pictures, nothing too different across the album, 1 set sound, played to the bone yard, thiat may infact be one of my lesser played albums. Hemipsheres is crisp, and the basslines are amazing ( i'm abit bias o well) from the little solo bit in la villa, to even circumstances ahs all out bass, nothing was held back for this album
Mr. Bill

Post by Mr. Bill »

I love Hemispheres. Always will. The album means a lot to me personally as it was likely the most impressionable part of my life. Musically this album cost me. I almost ignored all other music for a long time that winter. I then saw the show and everything came together. After the show I began to slowly take it down off it's pedestal.

Later on I noticed two things about Hemispheres. It's a short album in time. Secondly, the range of sound and style is actually very narrow. It doesn't impress me the way it did when I was a kid.

But that first lead solo in the title track may be one of my favorite Alex moments.

The other thing about Hemispheres that will always amaze me is the "buzz factor". What am I talking about you say? Some albums can actually make me "high" - Hemispheres is one them. Animals by Pink Floyd is another in a very similar vein.

And to me that's the thing about Hemispheres that makes it different. 2112 drove you up against the wall in total consciousness. The Fountain is pure fantasy. Hemispheres made me high - a completely different feeling.

Neil during the recording of Hemispheres: "Listen to all these new and cool patterns I can play on the high hats".

I know damn well he said that! :lol:
Living One Long Sunrise
Slaine mac Roth

Post by Slaine mac Roth »

Each to their own, isn't it?

Ant comment on music is going to be highly subjective and, much as I love Hemispheres, it just doesn't work for me the same as other albums. But, there you go. We're all individuals and have individual tastes and that's how it should be.
'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?'
*Lifesonite
Location: Flowing Through The Universe, In A Paisley Shirt... Man.

Post by *Lifesonite »

We are not individuals!

Ok, maybe... :P Their albums are so different from one to the next it's hard to pick an actual 'best' of all their works.
I remember watching in amazement as Geddy sang, played bass, and played the keyboards with his feet. I thought, "Who is this guy???"
-- IFALT
Soup4Rush

Post by Soup4Rush »

You guys are deep... My wife thinks I am wierd for having a CD with a naked dude on it. I try to explain the concept but she still thinks Rush is gay. Although I wear the PW shirt with the swirling skirt a la underwear clad mon pubis or whatever, to counter her theory. In my humble opinion I like Hemispheres as much as I like the rest, but I am just poor white trash from the country... so what do I know anyway... I think the PW woman is hot but that is for a whole nother thread...
Happy 2015!
PerfektWorkingMandrakeoft

Post by PerfektWorkingMandrakeoft »

tell hubby about sense-o-clock, This album is the best, by far, test. Which are speaking of now?
PerfektWorkingMandrakeoft

and all at once the chaos ceased, in this waterfall cave

Post by PerfektWorkingMandrakeoft »

All on a sudden however, Zarathustra's ear was frightened: for the
cave which had hitherto been full of noise and laughter, became all at
once still as death;- his nose, however, smelt a sweet-scented
vapour and incense-odour, as if from burning pine-cones.
"What happeneth? What are they about?" he asked himself, and stole
up to the entrance, that he might be able unobserved to see his
guests. But wonder upon wonder! what was he then obliged to behold
with his own eyes!
"They have all of them become pious again, they pray, they are
mad!"- said he, and was astonished beyond measure. And forsooth! all
these higher men, the two kings, the pope out of service, the evil
magician, the voluntary beggar, the wanderer and shadow, the old
soothsayer, the spiritually conscientious one, and the ugliest man-
they all lay on their knees like children and credulous old women, and
worshipped the ass. And just then began the ugliest man to gurgle
and snort, as if something unutterable in him tried to find
expression; when, however, he had actually found words, behold! it was
a pious, strange litany in praise of the adored and censed ass. And
the litany sounded thus:
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I expect this will be continued in another thread?