Counterparts

A place to discuss the studio albums

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

PV
Site Admin

Post by PV »

I LOVE THIS ALBUM! :D It is my all time favorite! "Cold Fire" is my favoritest Rush song as well.

I got in line at 4:00 am for tickets to this one while I was 8 months pregnant with my oldest daughter. I had folks waiting on me hand and foot getting me drinks, making me sit, it was so funny! At the concert, in The Pond in Anaheim, CA, I told the guys in front of me, "When they play Cold Fire, don't turn around and stare cuz I'll be spazzing." Well, they did and I was. :oops:
I don't have faith in faith, I don't believe in belief, You can call me faithless, I still cling to hope, And I believe in love, And that's faith enough for me... Neil Peart
KaelMwithascrubbrush
Location: I don't know, but there's a snake in my boot and an arrow just hit me in the butt!

Post by KaelMwithascrubbrush »

two words: secret agent
"I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five."
-Steven Wright
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

Cold Fire rules!!!

nobodies hero and everyday glory are also pretty high on my list
PV
Site Admin

Post by PV »

Sir Myghin wrote:Cold Fire rules!!!
8) Well put!
I don't have faith in faith, I don't believe in belief, You can call me faithless, I still cling to hope, And I believe in love, And that's faith enough for me... Neil Peart
Panacea

Post by Panacea »

I love this one too!! "Leave That Thing Alone" is my favoritest ;) instrumental of theirs, and every song on this album is great! :D
Enchantment falls around me and I know I cannot leave...
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

i think i can play every song on this album except speed of love and maybe 1 other lol
Sympho

Post by Sympho »

My Counterpart.. my foolish heart..
Go away
FerrariF1

Post by FerrariF1 »

Last edited by FerrariF1 on Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sympho

Post by Sympho »

Counterparts is one of Rush' highlights.

It should have had a warmer cover though.. like Hold Your Fire..
Go away
Sir Myghin

Post by Sir Myghin »

Sympho wrote:Counterparts is one of Rush' highlights.

It should have had a warmer cover though.. like Hold Your Fire..
hehe thats pretty good pun hehe
Amarok

Post by Amarok »

Why another cover? It's great. Not as great as "Signals" or "Moving Pictures", but great.

Counterparts, a fantastic album. My favorites: the first three songs, between sun and moon, double agent.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Was gonna start a thread on this album...all ive been listening to recently. Nobody's Hero is most likely my favorite song, not just by Rush but overall. Cold Fire, Double Agent and Alien Shore, terrific stuff.
Slaine mac Roth

Post by Slaine mac Roth »

Hmm, glad to see that I'm not alone in loving counterparts. There's a couple of guys on another Rush forum (actually, I sometimes suspect that its just one using two names as their posts are so similar) who have got the impression that Rush have done nothing really wothwhile since Hemispheres and try to make out that anyone who disagrees is mentally defective. Counterparts is one of my favourite albums and, to my mind, features Neil at his lyrical best.
'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?'
Fridge

Post by Fridge »

Slaine mac Roth wrote:Hmm, glad to see that I'm not alone in loving counterparts. There's a couple of guys on another Rush forum (actually, I sometimes suspect that its just one using two names as their posts are so similar) who have got the impression that Rush have done nothing really wothwhile since Hemispheres and try to make out that anyone who disagrees is mentally defective. Counterparts is one of my favourite albums and, to my mind, features Neil at his lyrical best.
Well, hello Slaine...

I am assuming that I am one of the people you are talking about. (Ican assure you that we are indeed two separate entities, and that we disagree on a few things)

I can only assume you have not read all my posts correctly as your statement is quite, quite wrong regarding my opinion of post Hemispheres material, but I'm not going to get embroiled in an argument about it. Suffice to say that I am a little disappointed that you feel the need to make a statement which is really just not true...

Saying that, time to talk about Counterparts...I am afraid I do not like this album, and it remains at the bottom of my Rush "pile". Why? well, to begin with, I personally do not like the more "personal" approach in the lyrics, and feel that he has "dumbed down" a little. Some songs are just plain clumsy (Nobodys Hero springs to mind) and the whole album for me, has a disappointingly AOR feel to it. A lot of the songs would not be out of place in a Bon Jovi concert, and that is something I do not want to hear from Rush...Saying that, I can understand why a lot of people like it, as it does remain one of their more "accessible" albums and is probably more "radio friendly" than others.

Unfortunately, it just doesn't float my boat...And Slaine, I do not think you are a mental defective for liking it...just misguided (only joking)