New Radiohead Album (and it's (almost) free!)

Music outside of Rush

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Ogg

New Radiohead Album (and it's (almost) free!)

Post by Ogg »

"In Rainbows" is the seventh studio album by the English rock band Radiohead. It was first released on October 10, 2007 as an MP3 download, and is scheduled to be released on December 3, 2007 as a "discbox" with a second CD of additional material. The band are to finalise a record deal sometime in early October, and In Rainbows will most likely be released as a standard CD in January 2008. The band have worked on the follow-up to 2003's Hail to the Thief for over two years, beginning in early 2005. This release ended the longest gap between Radiohead albums since the beginning of their career.

On October 1, 2007 Radiohead announced via their blog the title, track list, and release dates of their seventh studio album, In Rainbows. At the time of its release, the band will not be in a contract with any record label. The album will be available exclusively as an MP3 download from inrainbows.com on October 10, 2007. The download version includes the 10 tracks that make up the album, in 160kbps DRM-free MP3 format.

:-) Listening the now...
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

Hah! Twenty seven views and I'm STILL talking to myself!...and there's me thinking that Radiohead were quite big in the states at one time?

Imho the best album they've done since the classic 'OK Computer'. It's a grower for sure but after not too many listens the genius begins to appear. I just love the whole vibe of the album.

Radiohead 'House of Cards'

I don't want to be your friend
I just want to be your lover
No matter how it ends
No matter how it starts

Forget about your house of cards
And I'll do mine
And I'll do mine

Fall off the table,
Get swept under
Denial, denial

The infrastructure will collapse
Voltage spikes
Throw your keys in the bowl
Kiss your husband goodnight

And I'll do mine
And I'll do mine

Fall off the table,
And get swept under

Denial, denial
Denial, denial
Your ears should be burning
Denial, denial
Your ears should be burning
Denial, denial

As uplifting as ever eh? :-D and I'm STILL talking to myself :-)
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Ok, I'll go you tube some Radiohead and see for myself. You know I have been liking almost all the music you have enlightened us to Ogg. Like I said before, it sucks the buttrock outta my soul. :-D
This space for rent
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

Walkinghairball wrote:Ok, I'll go you tube some Radiohead and see for myself. You know I have been liking almost all the music you have enlightened us to Ogg. Like I said before, it sucks the buttrock outta my soul. :-D
Well, thank you kind sir :-)

I'm pursing them lips, readying myself for another suckle mate :-)

Surely you mustve heard of 'Radiohead' over there? I thought they enjoyed some degree of sucess with the 'Ok Computer' album?

Anyway...this is the song that got me into them in the first place, waaay back mate. The crunch of the guitar when the chorus kicks in. We used to cover this in an old garage band I was in :-) .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxpblnsJEWM

A few other classics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPX3u0XJ ... ed&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LeLAELI ... ed&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-F5L1S7 ... ed&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?search=&mo ... 8asQsfn82E

One of my top ten bands of all time :-)
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

I've heard of them, so they must've done somewhat well over here, since I don't listen to radio much.
Onward and Upward!
DoctorX

Post by DoctorX »

Radiohead don't really get played on the radio much here, but they have occasional MTV exposure, and are quite big among music fans at universities and in hipster circles.

They lost quite a bit of their indie rock cred though, after they became popular here with OK Computer. The underground police of cool make it their mission to bemoan anything that gains mainstream acceptance as "music for morons." Of course this same music will attain "retro cool" status among this same circle within twenty years. :razz:
Strength and beauty destined to decay
so cut the rose in full bloom.
Till the fearless come and the act is done
A love like blood
a love like blood

~Killing Joke~
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Sorry bro. The only song from Radiohead that I have heard before is Creep, and it's not my thing either.

Oh well, next?!?!? :-D
This space for rent
Wendy

Post by Wendy »

Radiohead got a review in the Miami Herald today.
Radiohead

In Rainbows

www.inrainbows.com

*** ?

A new album by Radiohead is always a big deal, but the way the British art-rock band is releasing In Rainbows, its seventh studio effort, is making history.

Fans can download the album from www.inrainbows.com. Cost? Your choice.

Early results show most fans aren't greedy moochers, as only about a third have opted for the freebie. Average sale is $8.

Radiohead has always been a polarizing musical force. Many find the group's experimental noise-rock side cold and impenetrable, and some of it is. But fans cite originality and creative complexity when declaring Radiohead the most important band in the world.

In Rainbows, by tapping the howl-at-the-moon epic style of 1997's majestic OK Computer and the electronic touches of 2000's Kid A, then adding the bite of raw garage-rock, immediately jumps into the pool for rock album of the year.

Thom Yorke's unmistakable soaring falsetto, both fragile and a bit twisted, is as strong as ever on the ghostly, elegiac Nude and the plaintive Reckoner, which recalls the heartbreakingly beautiful nonsense of Icelandic rockers Sigur R?s. There's also plenty of amped-up muscle: The playfully sloppy garage-rock guitars of Bodysnatchers capture T-Rex's swagger, and the careening, downhill drumming of Jigsaw Falling Into Place is balanced by Yorke's stream-of-consciousness lyrical style.

Yorke's lyrics largely abandon familiar alienation and nihilism in favor of more straightforward rock themes that tackle actual human relationships. On Weird Fishes/Arpeggi, he admits, ''I'd be crazy not to follow/Follow where you lead,'' before the song evolves into a typically gorgeous cacophony. The blues-y, meandering House Of Cards finds Yorke pleading, ``I don't wanna be your friend/I just wanna be your lover/No matter how it ends/No matter how it starts.''

But it's an odd touch in the skittering opening track 15 Step that perhaps sums up Radiohead's continual brilliance -- throughout the song, random groups of children scream ``Yay!''

Pod Picks:Nude, Weird Fishes/Arpeggi, Bodysnatchers

MICHAEL HAMERSLY
Sound verbalized tones touch textured feel scent wafted aroma see visualize observe sing dance live
DoctorX

Post by DoctorX »

Walkinghairball wrote:Sorry bro. The only song from Radiohead that I have heard before is Creep, and it's not my thing either.

Oh well, next?!?!? :-D
Creep is from their first album, Pablo Honey, which is alright, but it's not at all representative of what Radiohead became on later albums. They were still trying to sound like Nirvana or early U2 when that came out, and hadn't yet come up with an original sound. The Bends was a giant leap forward, and OK Computer was a revelation.
Strength and beauty destined to decay
so cut the rose in full bloom.
Till the fearless come and the act is done
A love like blood
a love like blood

~Killing Joke~