power windows and hold oyur fire

All Rush, all the time

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Priest of 2112

power windows and hold oyur fire

Post by Priest of 2112 »

Well i just had the pricilage of picking up these albums to finally complete my collection. I hear that these CDs had got some bad reviews because they were al synth heavy pop albums. Well after listening to both of them i ahve come to conclusion.......whoever says that these albums are not good music is absolutly nuts. First off, its rush so how can you hate it. Second, These albums were so moving, it was almost unreal. They took my to a different place. I just closed my eyes and listened. They were fantastic. Some of my favorites competing with moving pictures and 2112. They were truly a good listen.
"You don't get something for nothing, you can't have freedom for free."
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

Yeah Priest, both albums are very good. Synth heavy or not.
This space for rent
Kares4Rush

Post by Kares4Rush »

Agreed. I didn't get into PW and Hold Your Fire until recently and I find them beautiful as well. Smooth like silk and very emotional too.

Freeze this moment a little bit longer...
KaelMwithascrubbrush
Location: I don't know, but there's a snake in my boot and an arrow just hit me in the butt!

Post by KaelMwithascrubbrush »

Two of my absolute favorite Rush songs are on these albums: "Between the Wheels" off Power Widows and "Lock and Key" off Hold Your Fire.

I think those who disregard these albums simply didn't appreciate what the boys were trying to do with melody on these albums. Yes, they're synth-heavy, but it seems to me that what they were doing was taking the tools that others were using (remember, it was the eighties) and tried to use those tools in a more challenging and interesting way. There were some stinkers on the albums, but a Rush stinker is a heck of a lot better than many bands' masterpieces.
"I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five."
-Steven Wright
Wendy

power windows and hold your fire

Post by Wendy »

Time Stands Still & Mission from Hold Your Fire and
Mystic Rythms and Marathon from Power Windows
are my picks from these great albums.

It's RUSH, how could it not be great?
It's greater still that they're still touring!
:-)
Sound verbalized tones touch textured feel scent wafted aroma see visualize observe sing dance live
Walkinghairball
Location: In a rock an roll venue near you....as long as you are in the Pacific Northwest.

Post by Walkinghairball »

KaelMwithascrubbrush wrote:I think those who disregard these albums simply didn't appreciate what the boys were trying to do with melody on these albums.

Agreed.

Yes, they're synth-heavy, but it seems to me that what they were doing was taking the tools that others were using (remember, it was the eighties) and tried to use those tools in a more challenging and interesting way.

Again, agreed.

There were some stinkers on the albums, but a Rush stinker is a heck of a lot better than many bands' masterpieces.

You win, agreed X 2

Hey, I goofed.

That was all sapposta be out here. D'oh!!! :oops:
This space for rent
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

KaelMwithascrubbrush wrote:Two of my absolute favorite Rush songs are on these albums: "Between the Wheels" off Power Widows and "Lock and Key" off Hold Your Fire.

I think those who disregard these albums simply didn't appreciate what the boys were trying to do with melody on these albums. Yes, they're synth-heavy, but it seems to me that what they were doing was taking the tools that others were using (remember, it was the eighties) and tried to use those tools in a more challenging and interesting way. There were some stinkers on the albums, but a Rush stinker is a heck of a lot better than many bands' masterpieces.
Yup. I liked 'em a lot too. Loved High Water and Tai Shan and Territories and lost of others. Thought Force Ten was a lot better live than in the studio though.

BTW... Between The Wheels is truly a great song, but it's on the Grace Under Pressure album.
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Middle Kingdom

Post by Middle Kingdom »

Power Windows is a great sounding album, and I enjoy every song on
the album.

HYF is really good, though High Water is a clunker,
but one of the best back to back pairings has to be Prime Mover and
Under Lock And Key.