Harry Potter 7

Day to day life of the Rush fans

Moderator: Priests of Syrinx

Slaine mac Roth

Harry Potter 7

Post by Slaine mac Roth »

from SFX

Rowling the reaper
JK Rowling reveals that she is killing off two more major characters in the seventh Potter adventure. Place your bets now...

[28 Jun 2006 1:32pm]
We knew that there would be more deaths in the Harry Potter universe ? hell, JK Rowling has said all along that book seven isn?t exactly a perfect happy ending. And while she?s been ready to off several important characters already (Sirius Black, anyone?), it looks like the finale will be even bloodier than we thought.

During an interview with prime-time telly chatdroids Richard and Judy, Rowling revealed more information about the book. "The final chapter is hidden away, although it's now changed very slightly. One character got a reprieve. But I have to say two die that I didn't intend to die," she said. "A price has to be paid. We are dealing with pure evil here. They don't target extras do they? They go for the main characters. Well, I do."

We can hear the whimpering from the Potter faithful already.

"I can completely understand, however, the mentality of an author who thinks, 'Well, I'm gonna kill them off because that means there can be no non-author written sequels?,? she added. ?So it will end with me, and after I'm dead and gone they won't be able to bring back the character."

As for when it will hit shelves, Rowling was typically vague. "The last book is not finished. But I'm well into it now. I wrote the final chapter in something like 1990, so I've known exactly how the series is going to end."

Quit stalling and get writing, woman!
'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?'
schuette

Post by schuette »

looking forward for when it's finished :-)
Ogg

Post by Ogg »

Oh Slaine' contribute this to my 'pop culture' thread so as not to antagonise me :-) .

I read this in the papers...and who will she kill off?

I see you got this from SFX Slaine'. I have a one-shot SFX Discworld Special mag and you just made me think of it :-) .
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Oh man... now I'm all Pottered up again! I know we were never headed for a perfect happy ending, but the death in the end of book six had me SO frustrated.

Of course there's a big group of people that think he's not really dead and will return, but I'm not buying it. They just think that because Gandalf came back...
Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?
Slaine mac Roth

However, JKR has gone on record as saying that there will be no miraculous resurrections in the Harry Potter books and that those that die will stay dead. This was mainly in response to those who were hoping for either Lily or Sirius to come back but, I think, it applies equally to Dumbledore.

The worst ones are those that are convinced that Hermione is, secretly, Harry's sister. The debate has finished but you can find it (and laugh) Here (pt1), Here (pt2) and the majority of the debate here
'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?'
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

Do you perchance have a link to where she's on record as saying that there will be no miraculous ressurections? I believe you, but I need to show someone else who wouldn't...
H3WMW

Post by H3WMW »

Hermione??? Harry's Sister????

Nooooooooooooo????!!!!!!!!!!!

:shock:
Bassist of Joe's Band

Slaine mac Roth

ElfDude wrote:Do you perchance have a link to where she's on record as saying that there will be no miraculous ressurections? I believe you, but I need to show someone else who wouldn't...
Not exactly what you wanted but just as good is this quote at Mugglenet:
Don't expect Dumbledore to pull a Gandalf.
In addition, Mugglenet has managed, through trawling the many interviews with JKR, to put together a 'confirmed' list for HP7:

Character Information

We will find out something "incredibly important" about Lily Potter
We will find out who R.A.B. is
We will discover more about Dumbledore's past
We will discover where Snape's loyalties lie.
Something will be revealed about Petunia Dursley, although it will not be that she is a Squib
Viktor Krum will return (World Book Day, 2004 interview)
We will see a reappearance of Dolores Umbridge - "It's too much fun to torture her not to have another little bit more before I finish." (MuggleNet/Leaky Interview)
JKR has said, "There is a character who does manage, in desperate circumstances, to do magic quite late in life, but that is very rare..."

Plot Information

Harry will face Voldemort for the final time
Harry will be attempting to find and destroy Voldemort?s remaining Horcruxes
Harry will return to the Dursleys' during the school vacation, but the magical protection Dumbledore arranged will expire on his 17th birthday when he comes of age
Harry will visit Godric's Hollow
There will be a reappearance of the two-way mirror
We will see the wedding of Fleur and Bill Weasley
The fact that Harry "has his mother's eyes" will prove to be an important plot point
At least one character will die

Other

The last word is expected to be "scar," but may change
We will finally learn the full reason why some people become ghosts when they die and others don't
The final chapter, which has already been written, will detail what happens to the characters that survive
There will be no more Quidditch matches
H3WMW

Post by H3WMW »

Very interesting.

I can't wait for book 7 to come out.

HURRY UP JOANNE!!!!!!!!
Bassist of Joe's Band

Slaine mac Roth

The current consensus of opinion is that HP7 will be published on July 7, 2007.

Among the reasons given, on the various HP sites, for this are:

1) It will be the seventh day of the seventh month of the seventh year and it will be the seventh book in the Harry Potter series, it?s Harry?s seventh year at Hogwarts, and Lord Voldemort has a seven-part soul. Releasing it on this date would be a fantastic marketing scheme.

2) 2007 marks the tenth anniversary of when the first book, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer?s Stone, was released. This may not mean much, but isn?t it better to finish off the series after ten years than an odd number like eleven?

3) Releasing it in the summer would mean children would have more time to read the book, and therefore it would sell better. Leaving it until the next summer seems a bit long, but not entirely impropable.

4) July 7th is "conveniently" a Saturday and all previous Harry Potter books have been released on a Saturday (at Jo's request) so as not to disturb school time.

Reasons against this date are:

1) The Order of the Phoenix movie release date: July 13th, 2007. Upon hearing this, thousands of fans immediately gave up on the idea of a summer release for HP 7. What most people note is that Harry Potter bosses would want to stretch out such a colossal money-making phenomenon (probably the biggest the movie and book industries have ever witnessed) as long as humanely possible. Therefore, releasing the last Harry Potter book ever ? which is bound to outsell all previous tomes ? in the same summer as one of the most anticipated movies of all time isn?t a good idea.

2) As 7/7/07 will mark the two-year anniversary of the London bombings, the release may have to be changed as a mark of respect.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Hmmmmmmmmmm.....7/7/07...

This makes me wonder. Is anyone gonna make a big fuss over this date's "religious" significance like they did 6/6/06?
Onward and Upward!
Slaine mac Roth

awip2062 wrote:Hmmmmmmmmmm.....7/7/07...

This makes me wonder. Is anyone gonna make a big fuss over this date's "religious" significance like they did 6/6/06?
I'm not actually aware of any 'religous' significance to the date.
DoctorX

Post by DoctorX »

H3WMW wrote:Hermione??? Harry's Sister????

Nooooooooooooo????!!!!!!!!!!!

:shock:
Someone's been watching a bit too much Star Wars. :roll:

My best bets are that either Harry and Voldamort die (as Harry must sacrifice himself to kill Voldamort), or Hagrid and McGonagal bite it. Hagrid will die because he's naive and unflinchingly loyal to Harry. McGonagal would be the next target in line after Dumbeldore, as she was often his most trusted advisor.
Strength and beauty destined to decay
so cut the rose in full bloom.
Till the fearless come and the act is done
A love like blood
a love like blood

~Killing Joke~
ElfDude

Post by ElfDude »

I can see it being Neville. That kid has come a long way. I can definitely see him dying a heroic death in battle.
awip2062

Post by awip2062 »

Slaine mac Roth wrote:
awip2062 wrote:Hmmmmmmmmmm.....7/7/07...

I'm not actually aware of any 'religous' significance to the date.
There isn't really, just as there wasn't with 6/06/06, but the number 777 is often used to refer to G-d, since the number 7 has been associtated with perfection, and the three sevens would represent one for each member of the trinity.

Anyway, I was just wondering "aloud".
Onward and Upward!